Keyword Relevance for: engineers
53-4031.00 Railroad Conductors and Yardmasters
|O*NET-SOC Title||no matches|
|Alternate Occupation Titles||8 matches|
|O*NET-SOC Description||1 match|
|Detailed Work Activities||no matches|
Alternate Occupation Titles
- Conductor and Engineer
- Conductor/Locomotive Engineer
- Freight Train Conductor/Engineer
- Locomotive Engineer
- Locomotive Engineer/Supervisor of Engineers
- Supervisor, Engines, Road
- Coordinate activities of switch-engine crew within railroad yard, industrial plant, or similar location. Conductors coordinate activities of train crew on passenger or freight trains. Yardmasters review train schedules and switching orders and coordinate activities of workers engaged in railroad traffic operations, such as the makeup or breakup of trains and yard switching.
- Confer with engineers regarding train routes, timetables, and cargoes, and to discuss alternative routes when there are rail defects or obstructions.
- Direct engineers to move cars to fit planned train configurations, combining or separating cars to make up or break up trains.
- Signal engineers to begin train runs, stop trains, or change speed, using telecommunications equipment or hand signals.
- Verify accuracy of timekeeping instruments with engineers to ensure trains depart on time.