O*NET OnLine Help
The Summary report will provide an overview or snapshot of the selected occupation, displaying the most important descriptors.
The Summary report includes: 1
- Occupation code, title, and definition
- Sample of Reported Job Titles - Examples of job titles provided by incumbent workers are displayed.
- Tasks - Tasks are specific work activities that can be unique for each occupation.
- Tools and Technology - Tools and Technology provides information of machines, equipment, tools, and software that workers may use. (Source: O*NET Tools and Technology)
- Knowledge - Knowledges are organized sets of principles and facts that apply to a wide range of situations.
- Skills - Skills are developed capacities that facilitate learning and the performance of activities that occur across jobs.
- Abilities - Abilities are enduring attributes of an individual that influence performance.
- Work Activities - Work Activities summarize the kinds of tasks that may be performed across multiple occupations.
- Work Context - Work Context refers to physical and social factors that influence the nature of work.
- Job Zone - Occupations with similar experience, education, and training requirements are grouped together into one of the five Job Zones. Ratings for SVP are also provided.
- Education - Summary data on the level of education required for this occupation.
- Interests - Interests indicate a person's preferences for work environments and outcomes.
- Work Styles - Work Styles are personal characteristics that can affect how well someone does a job.
- Work Values - Work Values are global aspects of work that are important to a person's satisfaction.
- Related Occupations - Individuals looking to change careers can pursue these occupations with minimal additional preparation. (Source: O*NET Related Occupations - Career Changers matrix)
- Wages & Employment - Summary national wage and employment data is provided here along with a link to CareerOneStop to obtain state specific data. (Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics )
- Additional Information - Selected sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries.
Ratings and standardized scores are provided for: Knowledges, Skills, Abilities, Work Activities, Work Context, Interests, and Work Values.
Data Collection Information
The data in O*NET OnLine is regularly updated as part of an ongoing data collection program. In the upper right hand corner of the report, a link is provided to information regarding the data source and date of update. (See: Data Collection Information)
1 With few exceptions, the report will include all of the items listed and described. Report exceptions, such as "Military Occupations", will be brief. In the example given, the O*NET Data Collection Program does not include "Military Occupations". Exceptions such as this will be noted. In all cases, the full range of available occupational information will be provided. (return)