Details Report for:
11-3051.03 - Biofuels Production Managers
Manage biofuels production and plant operations. Collect and process information on plant production and performance, diagnose problems, and design corrective procedures.
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Manage operations at biofuels power generation facilities, including production, shipping, maintenance, or quality assurance activities.
- Adjust temperature, pressure, vacuum, level, flow rate, or transfer of biofuels to maintain processes at required levels.
- Approve proposals for the acquisition, replacement, or repair of biofuels processing equipment or the implementation of new production processes.
- Conduct cost, material, and efficiency studies for biofuels production plants or operations.
- Monitor meters, flow gauges, or other real-time data to ensure proper operation of biofuels production equipment, implementing corrective measures as needed.
- Prepare and manage biofuels plant or unit budgets.
- Review logs, datasheets, or reports to ensure adequate production levels or to identify abnormalities with biofuels production equipment or processes.
- Shut down and restart biofuels plant or equipment in emergency situations or for equipment maintenance, repairs, or replacements.
- Supervise production employees in the manufacturing of biofuels, such as biodiesel or ethanol.
- Confer with technical and supervisory personnel to report or resolve conditions affecting biofuels plant safety, operational efficiency, and product quality.
- Draw samples of biofuels products or secondary by-products for quality control testing.
- Monitor transportation and storage of flammable or other potentially dangerous feedstocks or products to ensure adherence to safety guidelines.
- Provide direction to employees to ensure compliance with biofuels plant safety, environmental, or operational standards and regulations.
- Provide training to subordinate or new employees to improve biofuels plant safety or increase the production of biofuels.
Tools used in this occupation:
- Air samplers or collectors — Air monitoring equipment
- Alarm systems — Emergency alarm systems
- Ball valves
- Belt conveyors — Belt conveyor systems
- Clock timers — Electric timing devices
- Control valves — Flow control valves FCV; Throttle control valves TCV
- Desktop computers
- Gate valves — Gate butterfly valves
- Globe valves — Stop valves
- Hand pumps — Hand sampling pumps
- Laboratory flasks — Reaction flasks
- Laboratory graduated cylinders — Glass graduated cylinders
- Laboratory mechanical convection ovens — Gravity convection ovens
- Moisture meters — Moisture analyzers
- Personal computers
- pH meters — pH probes
- Plant samples analysis equipment — Sample ports
- Respiration air supplying self contained breathing apparatus or accessories — Self-contained breathing apparatus
- Respirators — Dust and particulate respirators
- Spill kits — Hazardous material spill kits
- Standard fermentation units — Fermentation processing vessels
- Test sieves — Mole sieves
- Two way radios — Mobile radios
Technology used in this occupation:
- Calendar and scheduling software — Employee scheduling software
- Computer aided design CAD software — Autodesk AutoCAD software
- Electronic mail software — Microsoft Outlook
- Facilities management software — Computerized maintenance management system CMMS software
- Industrial control software — Distributed control systems DCS software; Human machine interface HMI software
- Internet browser software — Web browser software
- Inventory management software — Inventory control software
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office software
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Word processing software — Microsoft Word
- Evaluate quality of materials or products.
- Conduct employee training programs.
- Monitor green energy equipment, systems, or facilities.
- Supervise workers performing environmentally sustainable activities.
- Evaluate green operations or programs for compliance with standards or regulations.
- Direct green energy production operations.
- Direct maintenance and repair activities in green energy production facilities.
- Prepare operational budgets for green energy or other green operations.
- Analyze data to determine project feasibility.
- Communicate green energy production information.
- Operate green energy production equipment.
- Evaluate energy production data.
- Train employees on environmental awareness, conservation, or safety topics.
This occupation may require a background in the following science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) educational disciplines:
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wages data collected from Industrial Production Managers.
Employment data collected from Industrial Production Managers.
Industry data collected from Industrial Production Managers.
|Median wages (2014)||$44.46 hourly, $92,470 annual|
|Employment (2012)||173,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2012-2022)||Decline (-3% or lower)|
|Projected job openings (2012-2022)||31,400|
|Top industries (2012)||
Manufacturing (76% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2014 wage data and 2012-2022 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2012-2022). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- Industrial Production Managers . Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor. Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014-15 Edition.