Details Report for:
11-3051.05 - Methane/Landfill Gas Collection System Operators
Direct daily operations, maintenance, or repair of landfill gas projects, including maintenance of daily logs, determination of service priorities, and compliance with reporting requirements.
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Monitor and control liquid or gas landfill extraction systems.
- Oversee gas collection landfill operations, including leachate and gas management or rail operations.
- Develop or enforce procedures for normal operation, start-up, or shut-down of methane gas collection systems.
- Evaluate landfill gas collection service requirements to meet operational plans and productivity goals.
- Implement landfill operational and emergency procedures.
- Inspect landfill or conduct site audits to ensure adherence to safety and environmental regulations.
- Maintain records for landfill gas collection systems to demonstrate compliance with safety and environmental laws, regulations, or policies.
- Monitor gas collection systems emissions data, including biomethane or nitrous oxide levels.
- Monitor landfill permit requirements for updates.
- Operate computerized control panels to manage gas compression operations.
- Optimize gas collection landfill operational costs and productivity consistent with safety and environmental rules and regulations.
- Oversee landfill gas collection system construction, maintenance, and repair activities.
- Prepare and manage landfill gas collection system budgets.
- Prepare soil reports as required by regulatory or permitting agencies.
- Supervise landfill, well field, and other subordinate employees.
- Read meters, gauges, or automatic recording devices at specified intervals to verify gas collection systems operating conditions.
- Coordinate the repair, overhaul, or routine maintenance of diesel engines used in landfill operations.
- Diagnose or troubleshoot gas collection equipment and programmable logic controller (PLC) systems.
- Prepare reports on landfill operations and gas collection system productivity or efficiency.
- Recommend or implement practices to reduce turnaround time for trucks in and out of landfill site.
- Track volume and weight of landfill waste.
Tools used in this occupation:
- Air samplers or collectors — Air samplers
- All terrain vehicles tracked or wheeled — All terrain vehicles ATV
- Anemometers — Micro anemometers
- Combustible or hazardous gas detectors for power generators — Combustible gas monitors
- Desktop computers
- Diesel generators — Diesel reciprocating engine generator sets
- Flare or vent stacks — Enclosed flares; Open flares
- Gas detectors — Gas leak detectors
- Gas generators — Gas reciprocating engine generator sets
- Light trucks or sport utility vehicles — Utility trucks
- Multi gas monitors — Multiple gas monitors
- Notebook computers
- Oxygen gas analyzers — Oxygen analyzers
- Personal computers
- Pressure sensors — Pressure gauges
- Safety valves — Pressure valves
Technology used in this occupation:
- Analytical or scientific software — Landfill gas analysis software; Landtec System Software LFG Pro
- Calendar and scheduling software — Employee scheduling software
- Electronic mail software — Email software
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software — SAP software ; WorkTech MAXIMO
- Facilities management software — Computerized maintenance management system CMMS software
- Industrial control software — Distributed control systems DCS software
- Internet browser software — Web browser software
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office software
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Word processing software — Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Maintain regulatory or compliance documentation.
- Monitor external affairs or events affecting business operations.
- Monitor green energy equipment, systems, or facilities.
- Supervise workers performing environmentally sustainable activities.
- Direct green energy production operations.
- Direct maintenance and repair activities in green energy production facilities.
- Prepare reports related to compliance matters.
- Prepare operational budgets for green energy or other green operations.
- Recommend organizational process or policy changes.
- Develop sustainable organizational policies or practices.
- Communicate green energy production information.
- Operate green energy production equipment.
- Maintain green energy production plant equipment.
- Evaluate energy production data.
- Conduct environmental audits.
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wages data collected from Industrial Production Managers.
Employment data collected from Industrial Production Managers.
Industry data collected from Industrial Production Managers.
|Median wages (2015)||$45.17 hourly, $93,940 annual|
|Employment (2014)||173,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2014-2024)||Decline (-2% or lower)|
|Projected job openings (2014-2024)||49,100|
|Top industries (2014)||
Manufacturing (79% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2015 wage data and 2014-2024 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2014-2024). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- Industrial production managers . Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor. Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2016-17 Edition.