Details Report for:
29-1131.00 - Veterinarians
Diagnose, treat, or research diseases and injuries of animals. Includes veterinarians who conduct research and development, inspect livestock, or care for pets and companion animals.
Sample of reported job titles: Associate Veterinarian, Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM), Emergency Veterinarian, Equine Vet (Equine Veterinarian), Mixed Animal Veterinarian, Small Animal Veterinarian, Staff Veterinarian, Veterinarian (VET), Veterinary Medicine Doctor (DVM), Veterinary Surgeon
Tasks | Tools & Technology | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Education | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
Tools used in this occupation:
- Air rifles or air handguns — Capture rifles; Dart guns
- Amalgam carriers — Dental amalgam carriers
- Angiography contrast medium delivery set — Angiography catheters
- Animal catching devices — Animal catching poles; Animal snares
- Animal husbandry equipment — Cattle chutes; Dehorners; Hoof picks; Hoof testers
- Animal shearing or clipping equipment — Electric animal clippers
- Animal weighing scales — Electronic animal scales
- Arterial line catheters
- Automated external defibrillators AED or hard paddles — Semiautomated or automatic external defibrillators AED
- Autopsy chisels or osteotomes — Osteotomes
- Bandage scissors or its supplies — Bandage scissors
- Bar code reader equipment — Barcode scanners
- Benchtop centrifuges
- Binocular light compound microscopes — Optical compound microscopes
- Blood collection syringes
- Blood gas analyzers
- Cardiac output CO monitoring units or accessories — Cardiac monitors
- Cardiac ultrasound or doppler or echo units or cardioscopes — Echocardiogram equipment
- Cardiovascular system veterinary products — Thoracic drainage catheters
- Cast cutters or saws — Cast cutting saws
- Chemistry analyzers — Automated chemistry analyzers
- Chest tube — Chest tubes
- Coagulation analyzers
- Cosmetic dentistry curing lights or accessories — Visible light curing units
- Crown or bridge removers — Crown pullers
- Cryosurgery equipment or accessories — Cryosurgery units
- Dental amalgam carvers
- Dental burs
- Dental cord packers
- Dental elevators — Periosteal elevators
- Dental files or rasps — Dental files
- Dental finishing or polishing discs — Prophylaxis angles
- Dental forceps — Extraction forceps
- Dental hand pieces or accessories — High-speed dental handpieces; Low speed dental handpieces
- Dental impression trays — Veterinary dental impression trays
- Dental material pluggers or tips or accessories — Dental material pluggers
- Dental mirrors or mirror handles — Dental examination mirrors
- Dental mouth props — Veterinary dental mouth props
- Dental probes — Dental explorers
- Dental reamers
- Dental root tip picks
- Dental scalers or accessories — Hand scalers; Ultrasonic dental scalers
- Dental spreaders
- Dental x ray units — Veterinary dental x ray equipment
- Desktop computers
- Digital cameras
- Electrosurgical or electrocautery equipment — Electrosurgery units
- Endoscopic instrument sets — Arthroscopic surgical equipment
- Endotracheal tubes — Endotracheal ET tubes
- Enema kits or accessories — Enema equipment
- Enteral feeding administration sets — Enteral feeding equipment
- Flexible endoscopes or accessories or related products — Fiberoptic endoscopes
- Floor grade forceps or hemostats — Hemostats
- Floor grade needle holders — Needle holders
- Full body immersion hydrotherapy baths or tanks — Veterinary immersion hydrotherapy equipment
- Gas anesthesia apparatus — Veterinary anesthesia machines
- Glucose monitors or meters — Glucometers
- Goggles — Safety goggles
- Handheld refractometers or polarimeters — Handheld refractometers
- Hematology analyzers
- Intermittent positive pressure breathing IPPB machines — Mechanical intermittent positive pressure ventilators
- Intravenous infusion pumps for general use — Intravenous IV fluid pumps
- Intravenous or arterial fluid warmers or accessories — Intravenous IV fluid warmers
- Intravenous syringe infusion pumps — Intravenous syringe pumps
- Intravenous tubing with catheter administration kits — Intravenous IV administration sets
- Laboratory animal restraints or harnesses — Avian restrainers
- Laboratory balances — Laboratory scales
- Laparoscopes or laparoscopic telescopes — Laparoscopic equipment
- Laryngoscopes or accessories — Laryngoscopes
- Lip retractors
- Livestock identification equipment — Tattoo equipment
- Manual or electronic hematology differential cell counters — Differential cell counters
- Medical acoustic stethoscope or accessory — Mechanical stethoscopes
- Medical cine fluoroscopy equipment — Fluoroscopy units
- Medical computed tomography CT or CAT scanners or tubes — Computed tomography CT scanners
- Medical gamma cameras for general use — Gamma ray cameras
- Medical linear accelerator intensity modulated radiation therapy IMRT three dimensional units — Image guided intensity modulated radiation therapy IMRT equipment
- Medical magnetic resonance imaging MRI scanners — Magnetic resonance imaging MRI systems
- Medical radiation films or badges — Radiation detecting film badges
- Medical radioisotope scanners — Nuclear scintigraphy equipment
- Medical radiological shielding aprons or masks or drapes — Lead aprons; Thyroid collars
- Medical radiological shielding gloves — Lead gloves
- Medical staff isolation or surgical masks — Protective face shields; Surgical masks
- Medical stapler for external use — Skin staplers
- Medical syringe with needle — Single dose syringes
- Medical ultrasound or doppler or pulse echo or echography units for general diagnostic use — Veterinary ultrasound equipment
- Medical x ray darkroom equipment or supplies — X ray film processors
- Medical x ray intensifying screens — X ray intensifying equipment
- Medical x ray units for general diagnostic use — Digital x ray equipment; Portable veterinary x ray equipment; Stationary x ray equipment
- Microbiology analyzers — Automated microbial identification systems
- Microcentrifuges — Microhematocrit centrifuges
- Microscope slides
- Mobile or transportable medical linear accelerators — Linear accelerator equipment
- Multiparameter vital sign unit or accessories — Mobile multiparameter monitors
- Notebook computers — Laptop computers
- Ophthalmic irrigation or aspiration supplies or accessories — Eye lavage kits
- Ophthalmic surgical knives or blades or scissors or accessories — Ophthalmic surgical blades
- Ophthalmic tonometers or accessories — Ophthalmic tonometers
- Ophthalmoscopes or otoscopes or scope sets — Ophthalmoscopes; Otoscopes
- Orthopedic splint systems — Veterinary orthopedic splints
- Oxygen therapy delivery system products accessories or its supplies — Oxygen administration equipment
- Periodontal chisels
- Periodontal curettes
- Personal computers
- Protective gloves — Safety gloves
- Pulse oximeter units — Pulse oximeters
- Respiratory monitoring kits or its accessories — Respiration monitors
- Restraints — Nose tongs
- Resuscitation masks or accessories — Ambu bags
- Scanners — Digitizers
- Specimen collection container — Specimen collection containers
- Steam autoclaves or sterilizers — Steam autoclaves
- Surgical bone cutting forceps — Bone cutting forceps
- Surgical bone hand saws or wire saws or saw handles — Surgical bone saws
- Surgical calipers or rulers — Surgical calipers
- Surgical chisels or gouges — Bone chisels
- Surgical clamps or clips or forceps or accessories — Dressing forceps; Sponge forceps; Staple removal forceps; Veterinary obstetrical forceps (see all 12 examples)
- Surgical curettes or loops — Bone curettes
- Surgical gloves
- Surgical lasers or accessories — Laser surgery units
- Surgical microscopes or loops or magnifiers or accessories — Operating microscopes; Surgical magnifiers
- Surgical mouth gags or accessories — Veterinary surgical mouth gags
- Surgical pneumatic or battery or electric saws or drills or pin drivers or accessories — Battery-operated orthopedic drills; Orthopedic drills
- Surgical punches or punch holder or accessories — Biopsy punches
- Surgical rasps — Bone rasps
- Surgical retractors for general use — Surgical retractors
- Surgical rongeurs — Bone ronguers
- Surgical scalpels or knives or blades or trephines or accessories — Surgical scalpels
- Surgical scissors — Mayo scissors
- Surgical suction machines or vacuum extractors or ultrasonic surgical aspirators or regulators or accessories — Bone marrow aspirators; Ultrasonic aspirators
- Suture needles
- Tablet computers
- Therapeutic heating or cooling units or systems — Veterinary patient warming systems
- Treadmill exercisers for rehabilitation or therapy — Veterinary rehabilitation treadmills
- Ultrasonic cleaning equipment — Ultrasonic instrument cleaners
- Urinary catheterization kit — Urinary catheters
- Vacuum blood collection tubes or containers — Evacuated blood collection tubes
- Veterinary blood pressure testers — Ultrasonic blood pressure monitors
- Veterinary castration instruments — Castrating knives
- Veterinary clinical thermometers — Digital veterinary thermometers
- Veterinary electrocardiograph ECG — Animal electrocardiograph ECG units
- Veterinary injection or suction units or accessories — Aspiration catheters; Ear syringes; Insemination equipment; Veterinary suction equipment
- Veterinary nail trimmers or cutters — Hoof knives; Hoof trimmers; Nail trimmers
- Veterinary speculums — Veterinary oral specula; Veterinary vaginal specula
- Volumetric pipettes — Volumetric glass pipettes
Technology used in this occupation:
- Data base user interface and query software — IDEXX Laboratories IDEXX VPM; Microsoft Access
- Electronic mail software — Microsoft Outlook
- Internet browser software — Web browser software
- Medical software — American Data Systems PAWS Veterinary Practice Management; InformaVet ALIS-VET; Veterinary Software Publishing Advantage software; Vetport (see all 12 examples)
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office software
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Word processing software — Microsoft Word
- Prescribe medications.
- Examine patients to assess general physical condition.
- Analyze test data or images to inform diagnosis or treatment.
- Operate diagnostic imaging equipment.
- Develop medical treatment plans.
- Perform clerical work in medical settings.
- Collect biological specimens from patients.
- Treat acute illnesses, infections, or injuries.
- Operate on patients to treat conditions.
- Determine protocols for medical procedures.
- Maintain medical facility records.
- Immunize patients.
- Provide health and wellness advice to patients, program participants, or caregivers.
- Train medical providers.
- Maintain medical or professional knowledge.
- Schedule patient procedures or appointments.
- Supervise medical support personnel.
- Conduct research to increase knowledge about medical issues.
- Communicate health and wellness information to the public.
- Analyze medical data to determine cause of death.
- Manage healthcare operations.
|Title||Job Zone Five: Extensive Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).|
|Related Experience||Extensive skill, knowledge, and experience are needed for these occupations. Many require more than five years of experience. For example, surgeons must complete four years of college and an additional five to seven years of specialized medical training to be able to do their job.|
|Job Training||Employees may need some on-the-job training, but most of these occupations assume that the person will already have the required skills, knowledge, work-related experience, and/or training.|
|Job Zone Examples||These occupations often involve coordinating, training, supervising, or managing the activities of others to accomplish goals. Very advanced communication and organizational skills are required. Examples include librarians, lawyers, sports medicine physicians, wildlife biologists, school psychologists, surgeons, treasurers, and controllers.|
|SVP Range||(8.0 and above)|
Percentage of Respondents
|Education Level Required|
Realistic — Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
|19-1042.00||Medical Scientists, Except Epidemiologists|
|25-1071.00||Health Specialties Teachers, Postsecondary Bright Outlook|
Wages & Employment Trends
|Median wages (2014)||$42.11 hourly, $87,590 annual|
|Employment (2012)||70,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2012-2022)||Average (8% to 14%)|
|Projected job openings (2012-2022)||31,000|
|Top industries (2012)||
Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services (74% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2014 wage data and 2012-2022 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2012-2022). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- Veterinarians . Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor. Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014-15 Edition.