Summary Report for:
17-3029.12 - Nanotechnology Engineering Technicians
Operate commercial-scale production equipment to produce, test, or modify materials, devices, or systems of molecular or macromolecular composition. Work under the supervision of engineering staff.
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Assemble components, using techniques such as interference fitting, solvent bonding, adhesive bonding, heat sealing, or ultrasonic welding.
- Assist nanoscientists, engineers, or technologists in processing or characterizing materials according to physical or chemical properties.
- Assist nanoscientists, engineers, or technologists in writing process specifications or documentation.
- Calibrate nanotechnology equipment, such as weighing, testing, or production equipment.
- Compile information or prepare reports on nanotechnology experiments or applications.
- Inspect nanotechnology work products to ensure quality or adherence to specifications.
- Maintain accurate record or batch-record documentation of nanoproduction.
- Maintain work area according to cleanroom or other processing standards.
- Measure emission of nanodust or nanoparticles during nanocomposite or other nano-scale production processes, using systems such as aerosol detection systems.
- Measure or mix chemicals or compounds in accordance with detailed instructions or formulas.
Tools & Technology
Tools used in this occupation:
|Scanning electron microscopes — Field emission scanning electron microscopes FESEM; Focused ion beam scanning electron microscopes FIB-SEM; Scanning electron microscopes SEM|
|Scanning probe microscopes — Atomic force microscopes AFM; Scanning acoustic microscopes; Scanning probe microscopes SPM; Scanning tunneling microscopes STM|
|Semiconductor process systems — Contact printers; Magnetron plasma sputter reactors; Plasma enhanced chemical vapor deposition PECVD systems; Wafer substrate bonders|
|Semiconductor testers — Linewidth measurement systems; Optical thin film measurement systems; Parametric analyzers|
|Spectrometers — Energy dispersive x-ray EDX spectroscopes; Infrared spectroscopes; Photoelectron spectroscopes; Secondary ion mass spectrometers SIMS|
Technology used in this occupation:
|Analytical or scientific software — Image analysis software; Simulation software; SPMLab|
|Graphics or photo imaging software — Optical imaging systems|
|Office suite software — Microsoft Office software|
|Operating system software — Microsoft Windows|
|Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel|
Interest code: RCI
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wages data collected from Engineering Technicians, Except Drafters, All Other.
Employment data collected from Engineering Technicians, Except Drafters, All Other.
Industry data collected from Engineering Technicians, Except Drafters, All Other.
|Median wages (2013)||$29.12 hourly, $60,560 annual|
|Employment (2012)||68,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2012-2022)||Little or no change (-2% to 2%)|
|Projected job openings (2012-2022)||14,600|
|Top industries (2012)|