Details Report for:
19-1020.01 - Biologists
Research or study basic principles of plant and animal life, such as origin, relationship, development, anatomy, and functions.
Sample of reported job titles: Aquatic Biologist, Aquatic Scientist, Biological Scientist, Biologist, Botanist, Horticulturist, Marine Biologist, Research Biologist, Research Scientist, Scientist
Tasks | Technology Skills | Tools Used | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Education | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
- Analytical or scientific software — Blue Tractor Software DNADynamo; Gene Codes Sequencher; The MathWorks MATLAB ; Visual Molecular Dynamics VMD (see all 35 examples)
- Data base user interface and query software — Microsoft Access ; Structured query language SQL
- Development environment software — National Instruments LabVIEW
- Graphics or photo imaging software — Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
- Internet browser software — Web browser software
- Map creation software — ESRI ArcGIS software
- Object or component oriented development software — C++ ; Oracle Java ; Practical extraction and reporting language Perl ; Python (see all 5 examples)
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office
- Operating system software — Linux ; UNIX
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Word processing software — Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Analytical balances — Laboratory analytical balances
- Automated microscope stages — Automated microscopes
- Barometers — Mercury barometers
- Benchtop centrifuges — Swinging bucket centrifuges
- Bi distillation units — Distillation units
- Binocular light compound microscopes — Optical compound microscopes
- Chemical or gas sterilizers — Gas autoclaves
- Commercial fishing nets — Dip nets; Plankton nets
- Conductivity meters
- Cuvettes — Plastic cuvettes
- Dehydrators — Vacuum dehydration units
- Deoxyribonucleic sequence analyzers — Deoxyribonucleic acid DNA sequencers
- Desktop computers
- Digestion systems — Digestion units
- Digital camcorders or video cameras — Video imaging systems
- Digital cameras
- Direction finding compasses — Navigational compasses
- Dissolved carbon dioxide analyzers — Respirometers
- Dropping pipettes — Laboratory dropping pipettes; Micropipettes
- Dry wall single chamber carbon dioxide incubators — Water-jacketed CO2 incubators
- Drying cabinets or ovens — Vertical drying ovens
- Electron microscopes
- Electronic toploading balances — Top-loading electronic balances
- Fluorescent microscopes — Fluorescence microscopes
- Forced air or mechanical convection general purpose incubators — Mechanical laboratory incubators
- Freezedryers or lyophilzers — Benchtop lyophilizers
- French pressure cells — French presses
- Fume hoods or cupboards — Fume hoods
- Gas burners — Bunsen burners
- Gas chromatographs — Gas chromatographs GC
- Gel boxes — Electrophoresis chambers
- Global positioning system GPS receiver — Global positioning system GPS receivers
- Goggles — Safety goggles
- Handheld thermometer — Handheld digital thermometers
- HEPA filtered enclosures — Biosafety cabinets
- High pressure liquid chromatograph chromatography — High pressure liquid chromatograph HPLC equipment
- Inverted microscopes — Inverted compound microscopes
- Laboratory balances — Electronic precision balances
- Laboratory beakers — Glass beakers
- Laboratory burets — Glass burets
- Laboratory evaporators — Vacuum evaporators
- Laboratory flasks — Erlenmeyer flasks
- Laboratory forceps
- Laboratory funnels
- Laboratory general purpose tubing — Plastic laboratory tubing
- Laboratory graduated cylinders — Glass graduated cylinders
- Laboratory hotplates — Laboratory hot plates
- Laboratory microwave ovens
- Laboratory stirring rods — Spreading rods
- Laboratory washing machines — Glass washers
- Laminar flow cabinets or stations — Laminar flow cabinets
- Liquid scintillation counters — Fluid scintillation counters
- Magnetic stirrers — Heated magnetic stirrers
- Mainframe computers
- Microbiology inoculation loops or needles — Inoculating loops
- Microplate readers — Microtiter plate readers
- Microplates — Multiwell microplates
- Microscope slides
- Microtomes — Ultramicrotomes
- Multipurpose or general test tubes — General purpose laboratory test tubes
- Notebook computers — Laptop computers
- Open stream current meters — Water flow gauges
- Orbital shaking water baths
- Pasteur or transfer pipettes — Pasteur pipettes
- Personal computers
- Petri plates or dishes — Petri dishes
- pH meters — pH indicators
- Photo attachments for microscopes — Microscope digital cameras
- Photometers — Luminometers
- Portable data input terminals — Portable dataloggers
- Protective gloves — Safety gloves
- Radiation detectors — Phosporimagers
- Rapid amplification or complementary deoxyribonucleic acid ends RACE technology products — Polymerase chain reaction PCR equipment
- Refrigerated benchtop centrifuges
- Robotic or automated liquid handling systems — Automatic pipetters; Liquid handling robots
- Safety glasses
- Salinity meter — Salinity meters
- Sampling syringes — Laboratory bulb syringes
- Scanning electron microscopes — Scanning electron microscopes SEM
- Scanning light or spinning disk or laser scanning microscopes — Scanning laser confocal microscopes
- Scientific calculator — Scientific calculators
- Shaking incubators
- Specialty plates for bacteria — Agar plates
- Specimen collection container — Specimen collection containers
- Spectrometers — X ray spectrometers
- Spectrophotometers — Ultraviolet UV visible spectrophotometers
- Standard fermentation units — Fermenters
- Stereo or dissecting light microscopes — Dissecting microscopes; Zoom microscopes
- Stirring hotplates — Heated stir plates
- Tissue culture coated plates or dishes or inserts — Tissue culture plates
- Tissue culture incubators — Bioreactors
- Transilluminators — Ultraviolet UV transilluminators
- Transmission electron microscopes — Transmission electron microscopes TEM
- Triple beam balances
- Tube furnaces — Carbolite ovens
- Ultra cold or ultralow upright cabinets or freezers — Propane jet freezers
- Ultra violet water purification units — Ultraviolet water purification systems
- Ultrasonic disintegrators — Sonicators
- Vacuum or centrifugal concentrators — Centrifugal evaporators
- Video attachments for microscopes — Video microscopes
- Vortex mixers — Test tube shakers
- Water samplers
- Weather stations
- Communicate results of environmental research.
- Prepare research or technical reports on environmental issues.
- Develop collaborative relationships between departments or with external organizations.
- Conduct research of processes in natural or industrial ecosystems.
- Collect environmental data or samples.
- Plan biological research.
- Supervise scientific or technical personnel.
- Classify organisms based on their characteristics or behavior.
- Examine characteristics or behavior of living organisms.
- Write grant proposals.
- Communicate with government agencies.
- Provide technical information or assistance to public.
- Research environmental impact of industrial or development activities.
- Prepare proposal documents or grant applications.
- Analyze chemical compounds or substances.
- Develop plans to manage natural or renewable resources.
- Prepare scientific or technical reports or presentations.
- Instruct college students in physical or life sciences.
- Review plans or proposals for environmental conservation.
- Research diseases or parasites.
- Develop biological research methods.
|Title||Job Zone Five: Extensive Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).|
|Related Experience||Extensive skill, knowledge, and experience are needed for these occupations. Many require more than five years of experience. For example, surgeons must complete four years of college and an additional five to seven years of specialized medical training to be able to do their job.|
|Job Training||Employees may need some on-the-job training, but most of these occupations assume that the person will already have the required skills, knowledge, work-related experience, and/or training.|
|Job Zone Examples||These occupations often involve coordinating, training, supervising, or managing the activities of others to accomplish goals. Very advanced communication and organizational skills are required. Examples include librarians, lawyers, astronomers, biologists, clergy, surgeons, and veterinarians.|
|SVP Range||(8.0 and above)|
Realistic — Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
|11-9121.00||Natural Sciences Managers Green|
|19-1013.00||Soil and Plant Scientists|
|19-1021.00||Biochemists and Biophysicists|
|19-1023.00||Zoologists and Wildlife Biologists|
|19-1029.02||Molecular and Cellular Biologists|
|19-2041.00||Environmental Scientists and Specialists, Including Health|
|25-1042.00||Biological Science Teachers, Postsecondary|
|25-1052.00||Chemistry Teachers, Postsecondary Bright Outlook|
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wages data collected from Biological Scientists.
Employment data collected from Biological Scientists.
Industry data collected from Biological Scientists.
|Median wages (2017)||$36.04 hourly, $74,960 annual|
|Employment (2016)||113,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2016-2026)||Average (5% to 9%)|
|Projected job openings (2016-2026)||11,000|
|Top industries (2016)||
Government (33% employed in this sector)
Educational Services (14%)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2017 wage data and 2016-2026 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2016-2026). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Fisheries Society
- American Institute of Biological Sciences
- American Society for Cell Biology
- Ecological Society of America
- Gerontological Society of America
- International Society for Cellular Therapy
- International Society for Stem Cell Research
- Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Honor Society
- Society for Conservation Biology
- Society for Freshwater Science
- Wildlife Society