Details Report for:
45-3021.00 - Hunters and Trappers
Hunt and trap wild animals for human consumption, fur, feed, bait, or other purposes.
Sample of reported job titles: Animal Damage Control Agent, Fur Trapper, Hunter, Hunting Guide, Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator, Nuisance Wildlife Trapper, Predator Control Trapper, Trapper, Urban Wildlife Damage Control Specialist, Wildlife Control Operator
Tasks | Technology Skills | Tools Used | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Education | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
- Air rifles or air handguns — Tranquilizer guns
- All terrain vehicles tracked or wheeled — All terrain vehicles ATV
- Animal calls — Game calls
- Animal catching devices — Noose poles
- Archery arm guards — Bow hunting arm guards
- Archery arrows — Crossbow broadheads; Hunting arrows; Quivers
- Archery bow strings — Bow stringers; Cocking aids; Mechanical releases; String silencers
- Archery bows — Arrow rests; Bow stabilizers; Longbows; Recurve bows (see all 7 examples)
- Archery gloves — Bow hunting gloves; Finger tabs; Hand guards
- Assistive listening devices — Hearing enhancement aids
- Axes — Camp axes; Tactical axes; Throwing axes
- Bench vises — Bow presses; Gun vises
- Binoculars — Hunting binoculars
- Borescope inspection equipment — Bore lights; Rifle borescopes
- Calipers — Reloading calipers
- Camera tripods — Viewing equipment tripods
- Carts — Game carts; Game sleds
- Claw hammer — Claw hammers
- Cleaning brushes — Bore swabs
- Commercial use cutlery — Bone saws; Boning knives
- Compressed air gun — Pneumatic hog ring tools
- Deburring tool — Arrow squaring devices
- Digital camcorders or video cameras — Bow cameras
- Direction finding compasses — Magnetic compasses
- Drain or pipe cleaning equipment — Pipe cleaners
- Ear muffs — Hunting ear muffs
- Electronic charts or maps or atlases — Garmin Topo U.S. 100K; HuntingSouth HuntSmart
- Emergency medical services first aid kits — Emergency first aid kits
- Fertilizer spreaders or distributors — Wildlife food plot spreaders
- First aid blankets — Space blankets
- Flashlight — Hunting flashlights
- Flat nose pliers — Hunting pliers
- Force or torque sensors — Trigger pull gauges
- Funnels — Reloading powder funnels
- Global positioning system GPS receiver — Handheld global positioning system receivers GPS
- Goggles — Hunting goggles
- Gun barrel — Choke tubes
- Gun cases — Holsters; Hunting gun cases
- Handguns — Break-action pistols; Double-action revolvers; Hunting handguns; Single-action revolvers
- Hatchets — Hunting hatchets
- Hoists — Cable hoists; Gambrels
- Infrared imagers — Heatseekers; Infrared game cameras
- Instrument tripods — Bipods; Shooting sticks
- J hooks — J-hook tools
- Knife blades — Caper knives; Fixed-blade knives; Fleshing knives
- Laser measuring systems — Laser sights
- Leather straps — Game straps
- Life vests or preservers — Personal floatation devices
- Lifelines or lifeline equipment — Climbing straps
- Lifting cables — Haul lines
- Light enhancing cameras or vision devices — Night vision binoculars; Night vision goggles; Night vision scopes
- Light trucks or sport utility vehicles — Hunting trucks
- Lighters — Fire starters
- Lighting pole or post and hardware — Propane lanterns
- Machetes — Hunting machetes
- Magnifiers — Monoculars
- Metallic mirrors — Signal mirrors
- Micrometers — Bullet micrometers
- Mining headlamp — Headlamps
- Notebook computers — Laptop computers
- Paddles — Duck boat paddles
- Parts of guns or pistols — Ammunition magazines; Cappers; Reloading presses; Trigger locks (see all 7 examples)
- Personal computers
- Pet grooming products — Fur combs
- Phone headsets — Radio headsets
- Picks — Nipple picks
- Pocket knives — Folding knives; Survival pocket knives
- Post hole digger — Stake pullers
- Protective knee pads — Hunting knee pads
- Protective pants — Hunting waders
- Pull spring balances — Game scales
- Pullers — Arrow pullers; Arrow straighteners; Bullet pullers; Patch pullers (see all 5 examples)
- Radios — Weather alert radios
- Rangefinders — Digital laser rangefinders
- Recreational motorboats — Hunting boats
- Safety glasses — Shooting glasses
- Safety harnesses or belts — Hunting safety harnesses
- Safety horns — Air horns
- Safety vests — Hunting vests
- Saws — Folding saws; Hand saws; Pack saws
- Screw hooks — Tree steps
- Screwdrivers — Gunsmith screwdrivers
- Sharpening stones or tools or kits — Arrow sharpeners; Knife sharpeners
- Shears — Bone crushers; Game shears; Ratchet shears
- Sifters — Dirt sifters
- Skis — Cross country skis; Snowshoes
- Slings — Wrist slings
- Snowmobiles or snow scooter — Hunting snowmobiles
- Specialty wrenches — Broadhead wrenches; Choke tube wrenches; Nipple wrenches; Priming tools
- Sporting decoys — Dog training dummies; Hunting decoys
- Sporting rifles — Black powder pistols; Black powder revolvers; Pump action rifles; Semi-automatic rifles (see all 8 examples)
- Sporting shotguns — Hunting shotguns
- Sporting traps — Bodygrip traps; Snares; Trap triggers; Tunnel traps (see all 14 examples)
- Still cameras — Trail cameras
- Storm lights — Spotlights
- Stripping tools — Arrow stripping tools
- Tablet computers
- Telescopes — Muzzleloader scopes; Rifle scopes; Shotgun scopes; Spotting scopes
- Tents — Blinds
- Threading taps — Thread cleaning tools
- Tongs — Trap setters; Trap setting tongs
- Trapshooting equipment — Dog training dummy launchers
- Trowels — Hand trowels
- Tumblers or polishers — Case tumblers
- Two way radios — Hand-held radios
- Ultrasonic cleaning equipment — Sonic cleaners
- Utility knives — Hunting utility knives; Skinning knives
- Water purification equipment — Water purifiers
- Wire brushes — Bronze brushes; Chamber brushes
- Wire or cable cutter — Cable cutters
- Locate animals for fishing or hunting purposes.
- Obtain documentation to authorize activities.
- Remove skin or other body parts from animals.
- Maintain forestry, hunting, or agricultural equipment.
- Position animal trapping or capture equipment.
- Capture or kill animals.
- Sort forestry or agricultural materials.
- Load agricultural or forestry products for shipment.
- Transport animals, crops, or equipment.
- Train workers in farming, forestry, or hunting techniques.
- Prepare materials or solutions for animal or plant use.
- Trim trees or other vegetation.
- Plan trapping or hunting activities.
- Promote agricultural or hunting activities.
|Title||Job Zone One: Little or No Preparation Needed|
|Education||Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.|
|Related Experience||Little or no previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupations. For example, a person can become a waiter or waitress even if he/she has never worked before.|
|Job Training||Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few days to a few months of training. Usually, an experienced worker could show you how to do the job.|
|Job Zone Examples||These occupations involve following instructions and helping others. Examples include food preparation workers, dishwashers, sewing machine operators, landscaping and groundskeeping workers, logging equipment operators, and baristas.|
|SVP Range||(Below 4.0)|
Realistic — Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
|37-3011.00||Landscaping and Groundskeeping Workers Bright Outlook|
|45-2093.00||Farmworkers, Farm, Ranch, and Aquacultural Animals|
|45-3011.00||Fishers and Related Fishing Workers|
|47-2061.00||Construction Laborers Green|
|47-4071.00||Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners|
|47-5051.00||Rock Splitters, Quarry|
|53-6031.00||Automotive and Watercraft Service Attendants|
|53-7061.00||Cleaners of Vehicles and Equipment|
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wage data for Farming, Fishing, and Forestry Occupations.
Employment data for Fishing and Hunting Workers.
Industry data for Fishing and Hunting Workers.
|Median wages (2019)||$13.07 hourly, $27,180 annual|
|Employment (2018)||39,400 employees|
|Projected growth (2018-2028)||Decline (-2% or lower)|
|Projected job openings (2018-2028)||6,200|
|Top industries (2018)||
Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing, and Hunting (53% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2019 wage data and 2018-2028 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2018-2028). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.