||Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, and Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Move machine controls to index workpieces, and to adjust machines for pre-selected operational settings.
- Activate machine start-up switches to grind, lap, hone, debar, shear, or cut workpieces, according to specifications.
- Set up, operate, or tend grinding and related tools that remove excess material or burrs from surfaces, sharpen edges or corners, or buff, hone, or polish metal or plastic workpieces.
- Set and adjust machine controls according to product specifications, using knowledge of machine operation.
||Tool and Die Makers
- Set up and operate conventional or computer numerically controlled machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, or grinders to cut, bore, grind, or otherwise shape parts to prescribed dimensions and finishes.
- File, grind, shim, and adjust different parts to properly fit them together.
- Smooth and polish flat and contoured surfaces of parts or tools, using scrapers, abrasive stones, files, emery cloths, or power grinders.
||Tool Grinders, Filers, and Sharpeners
- Monitor machine operations to determine whether adjustments are necessary, stopping machines when problems occur.
- Set up and operate grinding or polishing machines to grind metal workpieces, such as dies, parts, and tools.
- File or finish surfaces of workpieces, using prescribed hand tools.
||Solderers and Brazers
- Clean workpieces to remove dirt or excess acid, using chemical solutions, files, wire brushes, or grinders.
- Grind, cut, buff, or bend edges of workpieces to be joined to ensure snug fit, using power grinders and hand tools.
- Smooth soldered areas with alternate strokes of paddles and torches, leaving soldered sections slightly higher than surrounding areas for later filing.
||Welders, Cutters, and Welder Fitters
- Chip or grind off excess weld, slag, or spatter, using hand scrapers or power chippers, portable grinders, or arc-cutting equipment.
- Remove rough spots from workpieces, using portable grinders, hand files, or scrapers.
- Clean or degrease parts, using wire brushes, portable grinders, or chemical baths.