Related occupations for task:
Evaluate applications, records, or documents to gather information about eligibility or liability issues.
||Tax Examiners and Collectors, and Revenue Agents
- Conduct independent field audits and investigations of income tax returns to verify information or to amend tax liabilities.
- Review selected tax returns to determine the nature and extent of audits to be performed on them.
- Investigate claims of inability to pay taxes by researching court information for the status of liens, mortgages, or financial statements, or by locating assets through third parties.
- Process individual and corporate income tax returns, and sales and excise tax returns.
- Examine accounting systems and records to determine whether accounting methods used were appropriate and in compliance with statutory provisions.
- Review filed tax returns to determine whether claimed tax credits and deductions are allowed by law.
- Inspect account books and accounting systems for efficiency, effectiveness, and use of accepted accounting procedures to record transactions.
- Review data about material assets, net worth, liabilities, capital stock, surplus, income, and expenditures.
- Audit payroll and personnel records to determine unemployment insurance premiums, workers' compensation coverage, liabilities, and compliance with tax laws.
- Prepare, examine, or analyze accounting records, financial statements, or other financial reports to assess accuracy, completeness, and conformance to reporting and procedural standards.
- Review accounts for discrepancies and reconcile differences.
- Verify and inspect cash reserves, assigned collateral, and bank-owned securities to check internal control procedures.
- Review applications for mergers, acquisitions, establishment of new institutions, acceptance in Federal Reserve System, or registration of securities sales to determine their public interest value and conformance to regulations, and recommend acceptance or rejection.
||Environmental Compliance Inspectors
- Examine permits, licenses, applications, and records to ensure compliance with licensing requirements.
- Review and evaluate applications for registration of products containing dangerous materials, or for pollution control discharge permits.
See all 17 related occupations >>