||Shoe Machine Operators and Tenders
- Turn screws to regulate size of staples.
- Turn setscrews on needle bars, and position required numbers of needles in stitching machines.
- Switch on machines, lower pressure feet or rollers to secure parts, and start machine stitching, using hand, foot, or knee controls.
- Operate or tend machines to join, decorate, reinforce, or finish shoes and shoe parts.
- Fill shuttle spools with thread from a machine's bobbin winder by pressing a foot treadle.
- Turn knobs to adjust stitch length and thread tension.
||Sewing Machine Operators
- Start and operate or tend machines, such as single or double needle serging and flat-bed felling machines, to automatically join, reinforce, or decorate material or articles.
- Turn knobs, screws, and dials to adjust settings of machines, according to garment styles and equipment performance.
- Mount attachments, such as needles, cutting blades, or pattern plates, and adjust machine guides according to specifications.
- Perform specialized or automatic sewing machine functions, such as buttonhole making or tacking.
||Shoe and Leather Workers and Repairers
- Align and stitch or glue materials such as fabric, fleece, leather, or wood, to join parts.
- Dye, soak, polish, paint, stamp, stitch, stain, buff, or engrave leather or other materials to obtain desired effects, decorations, or shapes.
- Repair or replace soles, heels, and other parts of footwear, using sewing, buffing and other shoe repair machines, materials, and equipment.
- Re-sew seams, and replace handles and linings of suitcases or handbags.
- Sew, join, reinforce, or finish parts of articles, such as garments, books, mattresses, toys, and wigs, using needles and thread or other materials.
- Use different sewing techniques such as felling, tacking, basting, embroidery, and fagoting.
- Sew buttonholes, or add lace or other trimming.
- Sew rips or tears in material, or create tufting, using needles and thread.
- Operate sewing machines or sew upholstery by hand to seam cushions and join various sections of covering material.