Related occupations for task:
Perform duties related to livestock reproduction, such as breeding animals within appropriate timeframes, performing artificial inseminations, and helping with animal births.
- Select animals to be bred, and semen specimens to be used, according to knowledge of animals, genealogies, traits, and desired offspring characteristics.
- Observe animals in heat to detect approach of estrus and exercise animals to induce or hasten estrus, if necessary.
- Package and label semen to be used for artificial insemination, recording information such as the date, source, quality, and concentration.
- Measure specified amounts of semen into calibrated syringes, and insert syringes into inseminating guns.
- Inject prepared animal semen into female animals for breeding purposes, by inserting nozzle of syringe into vagina and depressing syringe plunger.
- Examine semen microscopically to assess and record density and motility of gametes, and dilute semen with prescribed diluents, according to formulas.
- Attach rubber collecting sheaths to genitals of tethered bull and stimulate animal's organ to induce ejaculation.
||First-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
- Inseminate livestock artificially to produce desired offspring.