||Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Start and stop operation of machines, using levers or buttons.
- Turn dials, handwheels, valves, or switches to regulate conveyor speeds, machine temperature, air pressure and circulation, and the flow or spray of coatings or paints.
- Operate auxiliary machines or equipment used in coating or painting processes.
- Apply primer over any repairs made to surfaces.
- Apply rust-resistant undercoats and caulk and seal seams.
- Monitor painting operations to identify flaws, such as blisters or streaks, and correct their causes.
- Sand and apply sealer to properly dried finish.
- Spray prepared surfaces with specified amounts of primers and decorative or finish coatings.
- Use brush to hand-paint areas in need of retouching or unreachable with a spray gun.
||Plating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Set up, operate, or tend plating or coating machines to coat metal or plastic products with chromium, zinc, copper, cadmium, nickel, or other metal to protect or decorate surfaces.
- Observe gauges to ensure that machines are operating properly, making adjustments or stopping machines when problems occur.
- Immerse objects to be coated or plated into cleaning solutions, or spray objects with conductive solutions to prepare them for plating.
- Adjust controls to set temperatures of coating substances and speeds of machines and equipment.
- Spray coating in specified patterns according to instructions.
- Plate small objects, such as nuts or bolts, using motor-driven barrels.
||Etchers and Engravers
- Prepare workpieces for etching or engraving by cutting, sanding, cleaning, polishing, or treating them with wax, acid resist, lime, etching powder, or light-sensitive enamel.
- Expose workpieces to acid to develop etch patterns such as designs, lettering, or figures.
- Brush or wipe acid over engraving to darken or highlight inscriptions.
- Apply glazes, icings, or other toppings to baked goods, using spatulas or brushes.
- Decorate baked goods, such as cakes or pastries.
||Painting, Coating, and Decorating Workers
- Apply coatings, such as paint, ink, or lacquer, to protect or decorate workpiece surfaces, using spray guns, pens, or brushes.
- Examine finished surfaces of workpieces to verify conformance to specifications and retouch any defective areas.