Related occupations for task:
Ride atop cars that have been shunted, and turn handwheels to control speeds or stop cars at specified positions.
||Rail Yard Engineers, Dinkey Operators, and Hostlers
- Drive engines within railroad yards or other establishments to couple, uncouple, or switch railroad cars.
- Apply and release hand brakes.
- Drive locomotives to and from various stations in roundhouses to have locomotives cleaned, serviced, repaired, or supplied.
- Operate and control dinkey engines to transport and shunt cars at industrial or mine sites.
- Operate flatcars equipped with derricks or railcars to transport personnel or equipment.
- Operate switching diesel engines to switch railroad cars, using remote controls.
- Receive starting signals from conductors and use controls such as throttles or air brakes to drive electric, diesel-electric, steam, or gas turbine-electric locomotives.
- Operate locomotives to transport freight or passengers between stations or to assemble or disassemble trains within rail yards.
- Drive diesel-electric rail-detector cars to transport rail-flaw-detecting machines over tracks.
- Operate locomotives in emergency situations.
- Start diesel engines to warm engines before runs.
||Mine Shuttle Car Operators
- Guide and stop cars by switching, applying brakes, or placing scotches, or wooden wedges, between wheels and rails.