Related Occupations for Task
51-9071.01 - Jewelers
Related occupations for task:
Examine gemstone surfaces and internal structures to evaluate genuineness, quality, and value, using polariscopes, refractometers, and other optical instruments.
||Gem and Diamond Workers
- Examine gems during processing to ensure accuracy of angles and positions of cuts or bores, using magnifying glasses, loupes, or shadowgraphs.
- Examine gem surfaces and internal structures, using polariscopes, refractometers, microscopes, and other optical instruments, to differentiate between stones, to identify rare specimens, or to detect flaws, defects, or peculiarities affecting gem values.
- Identify and document stones' clarity characteristics, using plot diagrams.
- Examine diamonds or gems to ascertain the shape, cut, and width of cut stones, or to select the cuts that will result in the biggest, best quality stones.
- Immerse stones in prescribed chemical solutions to determine specific gravities and key properties of gemstones or substitutes.
||Precious Metal Workers
- Examine articles to determine the nature of defects requiring repair, such as dents, uneven bottoms, scratches, or holes.