Related occupations for task:
Monitor and operate communications systems, such as mobile radios.
- Observe signal lights on switchboards, and dial or press buttons to make connections.
- Operate telephone switchboards and systems to advance and complete connections, including those for local, long distance, pay telephone, mobile, person-to-person, and emergency calls.
- Monitor automated systems for placing collect calls and intervene for a callers needing assistance.
- Interrupt busy lines if an emergency warrants.
- Operate paging systems or other systems of bells or buzzers to notify recipients of incoming calls.
||Public Safety Telecommunicators
- Scan status charts and computer screens, and contact emergency response field units to determine emergency units available for dispatch.
- Monitor various radio frequencies such as those used by public works departments, school security, and civil defense to keep apprised of developing situations.
- Test and adjust communication and alarm systems, and report malfunctions to maintenance units.
||Switchboard Operators, Including Answering Service
- Operate communication systems, such as telephone, switchboard, intercom, two-way radio, or public address.
- Page individuals to inform them of telephone calls, using paging or interoffice communication equipment.
- Place telephone calls or arrange conference calls as instructed.
||Petroleum Pump System Operators, Refinery Operators, and Gaugers
- Monitor process indicators, instruments, gauges, and meters to detect and report any possible problems.
- Read automatic gauges at specified intervals to determine the flow rate of oil into or from tanks, and the amount of oil in tanks.
||Stationary Engineers and Boiler Operators
- Observe and interpret readings on gauges, meters, and charts registering various aspects of boiler operation to ensure that boilers are operating properly.
- Check the air quality of ventilation systems and make adjustments to ensure compliance with mandated safety codes.
See more related occupations >>