||Poets, Lyricists and Creative Writers
- Write fiction or nonfiction prose, such as short stories, novels, biographies, articles, descriptive or critical analyses, and essays.
- Develop factors such as themes, plots, characterizations, psychological analyses, historical environments, action, and dialogue to create material.
- Prepare works in appropriate format for publication, and send them to publishers or producers.
- Revise written material to meet personal standards and to satisfy needs of clients, publishers, directors, or producers.
- Plan project arrangements or outlines, and organize material accordingly.
- Write narrative, dramatic, lyric, or other types of poetry for publication.
- Adapt text to accommodate musical requirements of composers and singers.
- Write words to fit musical compositions, including lyrics for operas, musical plays, and choral works.
- Write humorous material for publication, or for performances such as comedy routines, gags, and comedy shows.
- Read copy or proof to detect and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, and syntax.
- Read, evaluate and edit manuscripts or other materials submitted for publication and confer with authors regarding changes in content, style or organization, or publication.
- Prepare, rewrite and edit copy to improve readability, or supervise others who do this work.
- Review and approve proofs submitted by composing room prior to publication production.
- Make manuscript acceptance or revision recommendations to the publisher.
- Read material to determine index items and arrange them alphabetically or topically, indicating page or chapter location.
- Organize material and complete writing assignment according to set standards regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style, and terminology.
- Edit, standardize, or make changes to material prepared by other writers or establishment personnel.
- Review published materials and recommend revisions or changes in scope, format, content, and methods of reproduction and binding.
||Radio and Television Announcers
- Prepare and deliver news, sports, or weather reports, gathering and rewriting material so that it will convey required information and fit specific time slots.
- Write and edit video and scripts for broadcasts.
||Reporters and Correspondents
- Revise work to meet editorial approval or to fit time or space requirements.
- Review written, audio, or video copy and correct errors in content, grammar, or punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines.