Related occupations for task:
Monitor progress of drilling operations, and select and change drill bits according to the nature of strata, using hand tools.
||Earth Drillers, Except Oil and Gas
- Select and attach drill bits and drill rods, adding more rods as hole depths increase, and changing drill bits as needed.
- Monitor drilling operations, checking gauges and listening to equipment to assess drilling conditions and to determine the need to adjust drilling or alter equipment.
- Select the appropriate drill for the job, using knowledge of rock or soil conditions.
- Observe electronic graph recorders and flow meters that monitor the water used to flush debris from holes.
||Service Unit Operators, Oil, Gas, and Mining
- Listen to engines, rotary chains, or other equipment to detect faulty operations or unusual well conditions.
- Select fishing methods or tools for removing obstacles such as liners, broken casing, screens, or drill pipe.
- Monitor sound wave generating or detecting mechanisms to determine well fluid levels.
||Operating Engineers and Other Construction Equipment Operators
- Connect hydraulic hoses, belts, mechanical linkages, or power takeoff shafts to tractors.
- Select and fasten bulldozer blades or other attachments to tractors, using hitches.
||Roof Bolters, Mining
- Position bolting machines, and insert drill bits into chucks.
- Remove drill bits from chucks after drilling holes and insert bolts into chucks.
||Mine Cutting and Channeling Machine Operators
- Observe indicator lights and gauges, and listen to machine operation to detect binding or stoppage of tools or other equipment problems.
- Monitor movement of shale along conveyors from hoppers to trucks or railcars.
See all 14 related occupations >>