Related occupations for task:
Plan or implement special safety or preventive programs, such as fire or accident prevention.
||Municipal Fire Fighting and Prevention Supervisors
- Assign firefighters to jobs at strategic locations to facilitate rescue of persons and maximize application of extinguishing agents.
- Participate in creating fire safety guidelines and evacuation schemes for nonresidential buildings.
- Direct firefighters in station maintenance duties, and participate in these duties.
- Recommend personnel actions related to disciplinary procedures, performance, leaves of absence, and grievances.
- Supervise and participate in the inspection of properties to ensure that they are in compliance with applicable fire codes, ordinances, laws, regulations, and standards.
- Develop or review building fire exit plans.
- Study and interpret fire safety codes to establish procedures for issuing permits to handle hazardous or flammable substances.
||Forest Fire Fighting and Prevention Supervisors
- Serve as a working leader of an engine, hand, helicopter, or prescribed fire crew of three or more firefighters.
- Direct and supervise prescribed burn projects and prepare postburn reports, analyzing burn conditions and results.
- Monitor fire suppression expenditures to ensure that they are necessary and reasonable.
- Lead work crews in the maintenance of structures or access roads in forest areas.
||Forest Fire Inspectors and Prevention Specialists
- Direct crews working on firelines during forest fires.
- Direct maintenance and repair of firefighting equipment, or requisition new equipment.
- Administer regulations regarding sanitation, fire prevention, violation corrections, and related forest regulations.
- Develop or review fire exit plans.
- Supervise staff, training them, planning their work, and evaluating their performance.
- Develop and coordinate fire prevention programs, such as false alarm billing, fire inspection reporting, and hazardous materials management.
- Serve as fully trained lead helicopter crewmember and as helispot manager.