Summary Report for:
29-2012.01 - Histology Technicians
Prepare histological slides from tissue sections for microscopic examination and diagnosis by pathologists. May assist with research studies.
Sample of reported job titles: Histologic Technician, Histology Technician
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Archive diagnostic material, such as histologic slides and blocks.
- Cut sections of body tissues for microscopic examination, using microtomes.
- Embed tissue specimens into paraffin wax blocks or infiltrate tissue specimens with wax.
- Freeze tissue specimens.
- Maintain laboratory equipment, such as microscopes, mass spectrometers, microtomes, immunostainers, tissue processors, embedding centers, and water baths.
- Mount tissue specimens on glass slides.
- Operate computerized laboratory equipment to dehydrate, decalcify, or microincinerate tissue samples.
- Stain tissue specimens with dyes or other chemicals to make cell details visible under microscopes.
- Data base user interface and query software — Microsoft Access
- Electronic mail software — Microsoft Outlook
- Label making software — Brady Specimen Labeling System; Specimen labeling system software
- Medical software — Cerner Millennium; Laboratory information system LIS; MEDITECH software
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office
- Presentation software
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Word processing software — Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Automated cover slipping equipment — Automated coverslippers
- Benchtop centrifuges — Cytocentrifuges
- Desktop computers
- Drying cabinets or ovens — Drying ovens; Slide dryers
- General purpose refrigerators or refrigerator freezers — Laboratory refrigerators
- Histological hones or straps or compounds — Knife sharpeners
- Histological knives or knife holders or blades — Anti-roll plates; Histology diamond knives; Histology glass knives
- Histology or cytology slide stainers — Slide stainers
- Histology or tissue cassette cabinets — Tissue block storage drawers
- Label making machines — Label printers
- Laboratory balances — Electronic laboratory balances
- Laboratory microwave ovens
- Laboratory staining dishes or jars — Staining dishes; Staining trays
- Microscope slide cabinets — Microscope slide drawers
- Microtomes — Rotary microtomes; Sled microtomes; Ultramicrotomes; Vibratomes (see all 10 examples)
- pH meters
- Tissue culture incubators — Incubators
- Tissue embedding stations — Tissue embedding equipment
- Tissue flotation baths
- Tissue processors — Automated tissue sectioning systems; Manual tissue choppers
- Ultra cold or ultralow upright cabinets or freezers — Specimen freezers
- Water baths
Detailed Work Activities
- Prepare biological specimens for laboratory analysis.
- Collect biological specimens from patients.
- Maintain medical laboratory equipment.
- Operate laboratory equipment to analyze medical samples.
- Prepare materials for preservation, storage, or display.
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wage data for Clinical Laboratory Technologists and Technicians.
Employment data for Clinical Laboratory Technologists and Technicians.
Industry data for Clinical Laboratory Technologists and Technicians.
|Median wages (2020)||$26.05 hourly, $54,180 annual|
|Employment (2019)||337,800 employees|
|Projected growth (2019-2029)||Faster than average (5% to 7%)|
|Projected job openings (2019-2029)||21,600|
|Top industries (2019)|
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2020 wage data and 2019-2029 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2019-2029). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.