Summary Report for:
41-3091.00 - Sales Representatives of Services, Except Advertising, Insurance, Financial Services, and Travel
Sell services to individuals or businesses. May describe options or resolve client problems.
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Answer customers' questions about services, prices, availability, or credit terms.
- Attend sales or trade meetings or read related publications to obtain information about market conditions, business trends, regulations, or industry developments.
- Compute and compare costs of services.
- Consult with clients after sales or contract signings to resolve problems and provide ongoing support.
- Contact prospective or existing customers to discuss how services can meet their needs.
- Create forms or agreements to complete sales.
- Develop sales presentations or proposals to explain service specifications.
- Distribute promotional materials at meetings, conferences, or tradeshows.
- Emphasize or recommend service features based on knowledge of customers' needs and vendor capabilities and limitations.
- Identify prospective customers using business directories, leads from clients, or information from conferences or trade shows.
- Inform customers of contracts or other information pertaining to purchased services.
- Maintain customer records using automated systems.
- Monitor market conditions, innovations, and competitors' services, prices, and sales.
- Negotiate prices or terms of sales or service agreements.
- Quote prices, credit terms, contract terms, or fulfillment dates for services.
- Analytical or scientific software — IBM SPSS Statistics
- Customer relationship management CRM software — Salesforce software
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software — Microsoft Dynamics
- Graphics or photo imaging software — JamBoard
- Operating system software — Apple macOS
- Project management software — Microsoft Project
- Sales and marketing software — HubSpot software
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
Detailed Work Activities
- Monitor market conditions or trends.
- Advise customers on the use of products or services.
- Advise others on business or operational matters.
- Answer customer questions about goods or services.
- Assess the cost effectiveness of products, projects, or services.
- Attend events to develop professional knowledge.
- Calculate costs of goods or services.
- Contact current or potential customers to promote products or services.
- Develop content for sales presentations or other materials.
- Distribute promotional literature or samples to customers.
- Estimate costs or terms of sales.
- Explain technical product or service information to customers.
- Identify potential customers.
- Maintain records of customer accounts.
- Negotiate prices or other sales terms.
- Prepare sales or other contracts.
- Recommend products or services to customers.
- Study product information to acquire professional knowledge.
Wages & Employment Trends
|Median wages (2020)||$28.25 hourly, $58,770 annual|
|Employment (2019)||1,070,500 employees|
|Projected growth (2019-2029)||Faster than average (5% to 7%)|
|Projected job openings (2019-2029)||123,800|
|Top industries (2019)|
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2020 wage data and 2019-2029 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2019-2029). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.