Summary Report for:
53-3051.00 - Bus Drivers, School
Drive a school bus to transport students. Ensure adherence to safety rules. May assist students in boarding or exiting.
Sample of reported job titles: Bus Driver, School Bus Driver, Shuttle Bus Driver, Special Education Bus Driver
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Check the condition of a vehicle's tires, brakes, windshield wipers, lights, oil, fuel, water, and safety equipment to ensure that everything is in working order.
- Comply with traffic regulations to operate vehicles in a safe and courteous manner.
- Drive gasoline, diesel, or electrically powered multi-passenger vehicles to transport students between neighborhoods, schools, and school activities.
- Escort small children across roads and highways.
- Follow safety rules as students board and exit buses or cross streets near bus stops.
- Keep bus interiors clean for students.
- Maintain knowledge of first-aid procedures.
- Maintain order among students during trips to ensure safety.
- Make minor repairs to vehicles.
- Pick up and drop off students at regularly scheduled neighborhood locations, following strict time schedules.
- Prepare and submit reports that may include the number of students or trips, hours worked, mileage, or fuel consumption.
- Read maps and follow written and verbal geographic directions.
- Record bus routes.
- Regulate heating, lighting, and ventilation systems for student comfort.
- Report any bus malfunctions or needed repairs.
- Report delays, accidents, or other traffic and transportation situations, using telephones or mobile two-way radios.
- Report delinquent student behaviors to school administration.
- Internet browser software — Web browser software
- Map creation software — AOL MapQuest
- Operating system software — Microsoft Windows
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Automotive doors — Powered service doors
- Bar code reader equipment — Barcode scanners
- Busses — Passenger buses
- Emergency medical services first aid kits — Emergency first-aid kits
- Emergency vehicle exits — Emergency exit doors
- Exterior automobile lighting — Bus warning lights
- Fire extinguishers — Portable fire extinguishers
- Global positioning system GPS receiver — Global positioning system GPS receivers
- Lifts — Wheelchair lifts
- Mobile phones — Cell phones
- Portable data input terminals — On-board data input terminals
- Radio frequency identification devices — Radio frequency identification RFID devices
- Security cameras — Digital surveillance camera systems
- Tire pressure gauge — Tire pressure gauges
- Two way radios
- Vehicle traction control systems — Snow chains
- Wheelchair accessories — Wheelchair restraint systems
Detailed Work Activities
- Drive passenger vehicles.
- Follow safety procedures for vehicle operation.
- Notify others of emergencies, problems, or hazards.
- Record operational details of travel.
- Assist customers to ensure comfort or safety.
- Assist motorists or pedestrians.
- Clean vehicles or vehicle components.
- Inspect motor vehicles.
- Maintain professional knowledge or certifications.
- Maintain public order or security.
- Maintain vehicles in good working condition.
- Monitor student behavior, social development, or health.
- Read maps to determine routes.
- Receive information or instructions for performing work assignments.
- Record operational or production data.
- Report vehicle or equipment malfunctions.
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wage data for Passenger Vehicle Drivers, Except Bus Drivers, Transit and Intercity.
Employment data for Passenger Vehicle Drivers, Except Bus Drivers, Transit and Intercity.
Industry data for Passenger Vehicle Drivers, Except Bus Drivers, Transit and Intercity.
|Median wages (2020)||$15.54 hourly, $32,320 annual|
|Employment (2019)||853,300 employees|
|Projected growth (2019-2029)||Much faster than average (8% or higher)|
|Projected job openings (2019-2029)||104,000|
|Top industries (2019)|
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2020 wage data and 2019-2029 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2019-2029). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.