- Analyze information to determine, recommend, and plan installation of a new system or modification of an existing system.
- Analyze user needs and software requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints.
- Obtain and evaluate information on factors such as reporting formats required, costs, or security needs to determine hardware configuration.
- Specify power supply requirements and configuration.
||Computer Systems Engineers/Architects
- Identify system data, hardware, or software components required to meet user needs.
- Provide advice on project costs, design concepts, or design changes.
- Investigate system component suitability for specified purposes and make recommendations regarding component use.
- Evaluate existing systems to determine effectiveness and suggest changes to meet organizational requirements.
||Software Quality Assurance Analysts and Testers
- Provide feedback and recommendations to developers on software usability and functionality.
- Identify program deviance from standards, and suggest modifications to ensure compliance.
- Evaluate or recommend software for testing or bug tracking.
- Collaborate with field staff or customers to evaluate or diagnose problems and recommend possible solutions.
- Correct testing-identified problems, or recommend actions for their resolution.
- Recommend Web site improvements, and develop budgets to support recommendations.
- Identify or address interoperability requirements.
||Network and Computer Systems Administrators
- Recommend changes to improve systems and network configurations, and determine hardware or software requirements related to such changes.
- Gather data pertaining to customer needs, and use the information to identify, predict, interpret, and evaluate system and network requirements.
- Research new technologies by attending seminars, reading trade articles, or taking classes, and implement or recommend the implementation of new technologies.
||Digital Forensics Analysts
- Identify or develop reverse-engineering tools to improve system capabilities or detect vulnerabilities.
- Recommend cyber defense software or hardware to support responses to cyber incidents.
- Write cyber defense recommendations, reports, or white papers using research or experience.
||Computer Systems Analysts
- Determine computer software or hardware needed to set up or alter system.
- Analyze information processing or computation needs and plan and design computer systems, using techniques such as structured analysis, data modeling, and information engineering.
||Geographic Information Systems Technologists and Technicians
- Make recommendations regarding upgrades, considering implications of new or revised Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software, equipment, or applications.
- Recommend procedures, equipment, or software upgrades to increase data accessibility or ease of use.
- Analyze user needs to determine technical requirements.
- Recommend and implement performance improvements.
||Telecommunications Engineering Specialists
- Assess existing facilities' needs for new or modified telecommunications systems.
- Inspect sites to determine physical configuration, such as device locations and conduit pathways.
- Analyze statistical data and product specifications to determine standards and establish quality and reliability objectives of finished product.
||Computer User Support Specialists
- Prepare evaluations of software or hardware, and recommend improvements or upgrades.
||Information Security Engineers
- Recommend information security enhancements to management.
||Document Management Specialists
- Propose recommendations for improving content management system capabilities.
||Computer Network Architects
- Develop or recommend network security measures, such as firewalls, network security audits, or automated security probes.
||Calibration Technologists and Technicians
- Analyze test data to identify defects or determine calibration requirements.
||Health Information Technologists and Medical Registrars
- Evaluate and recommend upgrades or improvements to existing computerized healthcare systems.
||Operations Research Analysts
- Study and analyze information about alternative courses of action to determine which plan will offer the best outcomes.
||Information Technology Project Managers
- Identify need for initial or supplemental project resources.
||Clinical Data Managers
- Evaluate processes and technologies, and suggest revisions to increase productivity and efficiency.