- Design, integrate, or test photonics systems or components.
- Develop optical or imaging systems, such as optical imaging products, optical components, image processes, signal process technologies, or optical systems.
- Design electro-optical sensing or imaging systems.
- Design gas lasers, solid state lasers, infrared, or other light emitting or light sensitive devices.
- Develop laser-processed designs, such as laser-cut medical devices.
- Design laser machining equipment for purposes such as high-speed ablation.
- Design or develop new crystals for photonics applications.
- Design or redesign optical fibers to minimize energy loss.
- Design photonics products, such as light sources, displays, or photovoltaics, to achieve increased energy efficiency.
- Review existing manufacturing processes to identify opportunities for yield improvement or reduced process variation.
- Design or conduct follow-up experimentation, based on generated data, to meet established process objectives.
- Design or conduct studies to determine optimal conditions for cell growth, protein production, or protein or virus expression or recovery, using chromatography, separation, or filtration equipment, such as centrifuges or bioreactors.
- Lead studies to examine or recommend changes in process sequences or operation protocols.
- Develop experiments to determine production methods that minimize pollution or waste.
- Modify or control biological systems to replace, augment, or sustain chemical or mechanical processes.
- Design products to measure or monitor airborne pollutants, such as carbon monoxide, nitrogen dioxide, ozone, or particulate matter.
||Electronics Engineers, Except Computer
- Plan or develop applications or modifications for electronic properties used in components, products, or systems to improve technical performance.
- Design electronic components, software, products, or systems for commercial, industrial, medical, military, or scientific applications.
- Design or develop sensors to reduce the energy or resource requirements to operate appliances, such as washing machines or dishwashing machines.
- Design sensors or switches that require little or no power to operate for environmental monitoring or industrial metering applications.
- Monitor and analyze data from processes and experiments.
- Conduct research to develop new and improved chemical manufacturing processes.
- Assist engineers in the development of new products, fixtures, tools, or processes.
- Design, build, or modify fixtures used to assemble parts.
||Automotive Engineering Technicians
- Build instrumentation or laboratory test equipment for special purposes.
- Reengineer nanomaterials to improve biodegradability.
- Design sensing, measuring, and recording devices, and other instrumentation used to study plant or animal life.
||Computer Hardware Engineers
- Design and develop computer hardware and support peripherals, including central processing units (CPUs), support logic, microprocessors, custom integrated circuits, and printers and disk drives.
||Radio Frequency Identification Device Specialists
- Integrate tags, readers, or software in radio frequency identification device (RFID) designs.
- Procure or devise automated lab validation test stations or other test fixtures and equipment.
||Environmental Engineering Technicians
- Improve chemical processes to reduce toxic emissions.
- Design test control apparatus or equipment or develop procedures for testing products.