- Develop optical or imaging systems, such as optical imaging products, optical components, image processes, signal process technologies, or optical systems.
- Design, integrate, or test photonics systems or components.
- Design electro-optical sensing or imaging systems.
- Design photonics products, such as light sources, displays, or photovoltaics, to achieve increased energy efficiency.
- Design gas lasers, solid state lasers, infrared, or other light emitting or light sensitive devices.
- Design or redesign optical fibers to minimize energy loss.
- Develop laser-processed designs, such as laser-cut medical devices.
- Design or develop new crystals for photonics applications.
- Design laser machining equipment for purposes such as high-speed ablation.
||Electronics Engineers, Except Computer
- Plan or develop applications or modifications for electronic properties used in components, products, or systems to improve technical performance.
- Design electronic components, software, products, or systems for commercial, industrial, medical, military, or scientific applications.
- Assist engineers in the development of new products, fixtures, tools, or processes.
- Design, build, or modify fixtures used to assemble parts.
- Design sensing, measuring, and recording devices, and other instrumentation used to study plant or animal life.
- Design and develop medical diagnostic and clinical instrumentation, equipment, and procedures, using the principles of engineering and biobehavioral sciences.
||Automotive Engineering Technicians
- Build instrumentation or laboratory test equipment for special purposes.
||Computer Hardware Engineers
- Design and develop computer hardware and support peripherals, including central processing units (CPUs), support logic, microprocessors, custom integrated circuits, and printers and disk drives.
||Radio Frequency Identification Device Specialists
- Integrate tags, readers, or software in radio frequency identification device (RFID) designs.
- Devise automated lab validation test stations or other test fixtures or equipment.
- Design test control apparatus or equipment or develop procedures for testing products.
- Design products to measure or monitor airborne pollutants, such as carbon monoxide, nitrogen dioxide, ozone, or particulate matter.