- Develop methodologies for transferring procedures or biological processes from laboratories to commercial-scale manufacturing production.
- Devise scalable recovery, purification, or fermentation processes for producing proteins or other biological substances for human or animal therapeutic use, food production or processing, biofuels, or effluent treatment.
- Develop recovery processes to separate or purify products from fermentation broths or slurries.
- Develop processes or products, such as natural recovery monitoring, in situ capping or treatment, or sediment removal, to treat contamination of subaqueous sediment.
- Develop alternative processes to produce crude oil, such as extraction from diatoms or thermochemical conversion of manure or other wastes.
- Design processes to manufacture synthetic molecules for applications such as pharmaceuticals or pesticides.
- Develop processes or identify equipment needed for pilot or commercial nanoscale scale production.
- Engineer production processes for specific nanotechnology applications, such as electroplating, nanofabrication, or epoxy.
- Create designs or prototypes for nanosystem applications, such as biomedical delivery systems or atomic force microscopes.
- Assist engineers in the development of new products, fixtures, tools, or processes.
- Optimize photonic process parameters by making prototype or production devices.
- Build prototype optomechanical devices for use in equipment such as aerial cameras, gun sights, or telescopes.
||Fuel Cell Engineers
- Fabricate prototypes of fuel cell components, assemblies, stacks, or systems.
- Develop or evaluate systems or methods of hydrogen storage for fuel cell applications.
- Identify environmental risks and develop risk management strategies for civil engineering projects.
- Develop or implement engineering solutions to clean up industrial accidents or other contaminated sites.
||Electronics Engineering Technicians
- Build prototypes from rough sketches or plans.
- Develop or upgrade preventative maintenance procedures for components, equipment, parts, or systems.
||Industrial Engineering Technologists
- Develop or implement programs to address problems related to production, materials, safety, or quality.
- Integrate high-speed loops and advanced control algorithms with graphical system designs to improve the efficiency of production operations.
- Create mechanical models and tolerance analyses to simulate mechatronic design concepts.
- Develop electronic, mechanical, or computerized processes to perform tasks in dangerous situations, such as underwater exploration or extraterrestrial mining.
||Manufacturing Engineering Technologists
- Develop or maintain programs associated with automated production equipment.
- Develop production, inventory, or quality assurance programs.
||Human Factors Engineers and Ergonomists
- Design or evaluate human work systems, using human factors engineering and ergonomic principles to optimize usability, cost, quality, safety, or performance.
- Identify design alternatives for the development of new water resources.
- Monitor production rates, and plan rework processes to improve production.
- Develop or implement operating methods or procedures.
- Develop or validate specialized materials characterization procedures, such as thermal withstand, fatigue, notch sensitivity, abrasion, or hardness tests.
- Develop processes to separate components of liquids or gases or generate electrical currents, using controlled chemical processes.
||Electromechanical Engineering Technologists
- Establish and maintain inventory, records, or documentation systems.
||Fuel Cell Technicians
- Build fuel cell prototypes, following engineering specifications.
- Build landscape, architectural, and display models.
||Mining and Geological Engineers, Including Mining Safety Engineers
- Select or devise materials-handling methods and equipment to transport ore, waste materials, and mineral products efficiently and economically.
||Automotive Engineering Technicians
- Fabricate new or modify existing prototype components or fixtures.