- Perform or interpret the outcomes of procedures or diagnostic tests, such as lumbar punctures, electroencephalography, electromyography, and nerve conduction velocity tests.
- Order or interpret results of laboratory analyses of patients' blood or cerebrospinal fluid.
- Diagnose neurological conditions based on interpretation of examination findings, histories, or test results.
- Interpret the results of neuroimaging studies, such as Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), Single Photon Emission Computed Tomography (SPECT), and Positron Emission Tomography (PET) scans.
- Recommend diagnostic tests based on patients' histories and physical examination findings.
- Conduct or order diagnostic tests such as chest radiographs (x-rays), microbiologic tests, or endocrinologic tests.
||Acute Care Nurses
- Interpret information obtained from electrocardiograms (EKGs) or radiographs (x-rays).
- Order, perform, or interpret the results of diagnostic tests and screening procedures based on assessment results, differential diagnoses, and knowledge about age, gender and health status of clients.
- Perform or interpret the outcomes of diagnostic imaging procedures including magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), computer tomography (CT), positron emission tomography (PET), nuclear cardiology treadmill studies, mammography, or ultrasound.
- Interpret images using computer-aided detection or diagnosis systems.
- Administer or order diagnostic tests, such as x-ray, electrocardiogram, and laboratory tests.
- Interpret diagnostic test results for deviations from normal.
||Allergists and Immunologists
- Order or perform diagnostic tests such as skin pricks and intradermal, patch, or delayed hypersensitivity tests.
- Interpret diagnostic test results to make appropriate differential diagnoses.
- Analyze genetic information to identify patients or families at risk for specific disorders or syndromes.
- Determine or coordinate treatment plans by requesting laboratory services, reviewing genetics or counseling literature, and considering histories or diagnostic data.
- Diagnose health conditions, based on patients' symptoms and health histories, laboratory and diagnostic radiology test results, or other physiological measurements, such as electrocardiograms and electroencephalographs.
- Order diagnostic imaging procedures such as radiographs (x-rays), ultrasounds, mammograms, and bone densitometry tests, or refer patients to other health professionals for these procedures.
||Critical Care Nurses
- Evaluate patients' vital signs or laboratory data to determine emergency intervention needs.
- Compile and analyze data obtained from monitoring or diagnostic tests.
- Analyze and interpret patients' histories, symptoms, physical findings, or diagnostic information to develop appropriate diagnoses.
- Order, perform, or interpret the results of diagnostic tests, such as complete blood counts (CBCs), electrocardiograms (EKGs), and radiographs (x-rays).
- Evaluate patients' laboratory and medical records, requesting assistance from other practitioners when necessary.
- Analyze and interpret results from tests such as microbial or parasite tests, urine analyses, hormonal assays, fine needle aspirations (FNAs), and polymerase chain reactions (PCRs).
||Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nurses
- Interpret diagnostic or laboratory tests such as electrocardiograms (EKGs) and renal functioning tests.
- Analyze and evaluate patient data or test findings to diagnose nature or extent of mental disorder.
- Operate diagnostic equipment, such as radiographic or ultrasound equipment, and interpret the resulting images.
- Order or recommend diagnostic procedures, such as stress tests, drug screenings, or urinary tests.
- Perform or evaluate the results of diagnostic tests, such as radiographs (x-rays) and electrocardiograms (EKGs).
||Cardiovascular Technologists and Technicians
- Compare measurements of heart wall thickness and chamber sizes to standard norms to identify abnormalities.
||Nuclear Medicine Physicians
- Interpret imaging data and confer with other medical specialists to formulate diagnoses.
- Analyze test results and develop a treatment plan.