- Direct or escort pedestrians across streets, stopping traffic as necessary.
- Guide or control vehicular or pedestrian traffic at such places as street and railroad crossings and construction sites.
- Direct traffic movement or warn of hazards, using signs, flags, lanterns, and hand signals.
||Air Traffic Controllers
- Monitor or direct the movement of aircraft within an assigned air space or on the ground at airports to minimize delays and maximize safety.
- Direct pilots to runways when space is available or direct them to maintain a traffic pattern until there is space for them to land.
- Direct ground traffic, including taxiing aircraft, maintenance or baggage vehicles, or airport workers.
||Highway Maintenance Workers
- Set out signs and cones around work areas to divert traffic.
- Flag motorists to warn them of obstacles or repair work ahead.
||Bridge and Lock Tenders
- Direct movements of vessels in locks or bridge areas, using signals, telecommunication equipment, or loudspeakers.
- Stop automobile and pedestrian traffic on bridges, and lower automobile gates prior to moving bridges.
||Transportation Security Screeners
- Close entry areas following security breaches or reopen areas after receiving notification that the airport is secure.
- Lock doors and gates of entrances and exits to secure buildings.
- Block or rope off scene and check perimeter to ensure that entire scene is secured.
||Transit and Railroad Police
- Seal empty boxcars by twisting nails in door hasps, using nail twisters.
||Police Patrol Officers
- Direct traffic flow and reroute traffic in case of emergencies.
||Forest Fire Inspectors and Prevention Specialists
- Restrict public access and recreational use of forest lands during critical fire seasons.
||Parking Lot Attendants
- Direct motorists to parking areas or parking spaces, using hand signals or flashlights as necessary.
||Paving, Surfacing, and Tamping Equipment Operators
- Establish firelines to prevent unauthorized persons from entering areas near fires.
- Control traffic passing near, in, or around work zones.