- Listen to customer requests, referring to alphabetical or geographical directories to answer questions and provide telephone information.
- Consult charts to determine charges for pay-telephone calls, requesting coin deposits for calls as necessary.
||Proofreaders and Copy Markers
- Consult reference books or secure aid of readers to check references with rules of grammar and composition.
- Examine city directories and public records to verify residence property ownership, bankruptcies, liens, arrest record, or unpaid taxes of applicants.
- Review legal publications and perform database searches to identify laws and court decisions relevant to pending cases.
- Enter or retrieve information from structural databases, protein sequence motif databases, mutation databases, genomic databases or gene expression databases.
||Police, Fire, and Ambulance Dispatchers
- Enter, update, and retrieve information from teletype networks and computerized data systems regarding such things as wanted persons, stolen property, vehicle registration, and stolen vehicles.
||Billing, Cost, and Rate Clerks
- Consult sources, such as rate books, manuals, or insurance company representatives, to determine specific charges or information such as rules, regulations, or government tax and tariff information.
- Find, retrieve, and make copies of information from files in response to requests and deliver information to authorized users.
- Research information in the municipal archives upon request of public officials or private citizens.
- Search files and contact witnesses, attorneys, or litigants to obtain information for the court.
- Perform record checks on past or current licensees, as required by investigations.
||Office Clerks, General
- Review files, records, and other documents to obtain information to respond to requests.
||Bookkeeping, Accounting, and Auditing Clerks
- Access computerized financial information to answer general questions as well as those related to specific accounts.
||Secretaries and Administrative Assistants, Except Legal, Medical, and Executive
- Conduct searches to find needed information, using such sources as the Internet.