||Layout Workers, Metal and Plastic
- Lay out and fabricate metal structural parts such as plates, bulkheads, and frames.
- Inspect machined parts to verify conformance to specifications.
||Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Measure and examine extruded products to locate defects and to check for conformance to specifications, adjusting controls as necessary to alter products.
- Test physical properties of products with testing devices such as acid-bath testers, burst testers, and impact testers.
||Tool and Die Makers
- Inspect finished dies for smoothness, contour conformity, and defects.
- Conduct test runs with completed tools or dies to ensure that parts meet specifications, making adjustments as necessary.
||Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Examine parts to ensure metal shades and colors conform to specifications, using knowledge of metal heat-treating.
- Test parts for hardness, using hardness testing equipment, or by examining and feeling samples.
||Engine and Other Machine Assemblers
- Lay out and drill, ream, tap, or cut parts for assembly.
||Model Makers, Metal and Plastic
- Inspect and test products to verify conformance to specifications, using precision measuring instruments or circuit testers.
||Welding, Soldering, and Brazing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Lay out, fit, or connect parts to be bonded, calculating production measurements, as necessary.
||Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Examine completed workpieces for defects, such as chipped edges or marred surfaces and sort defective pieces according to types of flaws.
||Solderers and Brazers
- Examine seams for defects and rework defective joints or broken parts.
||Extruding, Forming, Pressing, and Compacting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Examine, measure, and weigh materials or products to verify conformance to standards, using measuring devices such as templates, micrometers, or scales.
||Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, and Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Measure workpieces and lay out work, using precision measuring devices.
||Rolling Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Examine, inspect, and measure raw materials and finished products to verify conformance to specifications.
||Molding, Coremaking, and Casting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Measure and visually inspect products for surface and dimension defects to ensure conformance to specifications, using precision measuring instruments.
||Welders, Cutters, and Welder Fitters
- Lay out, position, align, and secure parts and assemblies prior to assembly, using straightedges, combination squares, calipers, and rulers.