||Fabric and Apparel Patternmakers
- Draw details on outlined parts to indicate where parts are to be joined, as well as the positions of pleats, pockets, buttonholes, and other features, using computers or drafting instruments.
- Draw outlines of pattern parts by adapting or copying existing patterns, or by drafting new patterns.
- Determine the best layout of pattern pieces to minimize waste of material, and mark fabric accordingly.
- Trace outlines of paper onto cardboard patterns, and cut patterns into parts to make templates.
- Trace outlines of specified patterns onto material, and cut fabric using scissors.
||Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Place rolls of paper or cardboard on machine feed tracks, and thread paper through gluing, coating, and slitting rollers.
- Fill glue and paraffin reservoirs, and position rollers to dispense glue onto paperboard.
- Lift tote boxes of finished cartons, and dump cartons into feed hoppers.
- Load automatic stapling mechanisms.
- Mark and drill holes in jewelry mountings in order to center stones according to design specifications.
- Lay out designs on metal stock, and cut along markings to fabricate pieces used to cast metal molds.
- Chase decorative designs on silver blanks that are to be used as models for steel production dies.
||Drilling and Boring Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Establish zero reference points on workpieces, such as at the intersections of two edges or over hole locations.
- Lay out reference lines and machining locations on work, using layout tools, and applying knowledge of shop math and layout techniques.
- Operate tracing attachments to duplicate contours from templates or models.
||Sewing Machine Operators
- Place spools of thread, cord, or other materials on spindles, insert bobbins, and thread ends through machine guides and components.
- Draw markings or pin appliques on fabric to obtain variations in design.
- Position and mark patterns on materials to prepare for sewing.
||Stone Cutters and Carvers, Manufacturing
- Lay out designs or dimensions from sketches or blueprints on stone surfaces, by freehand or by transferring them from tracing paper, using scribes or chalk and measuring instruments.
- Load sandblasting equipment with abrasives, attach nozzles to hoses, and turn valves to admit compressed air and activate jets.
- Copy drawings on rough clay or plaster models.
- Load and unload items from machines, conveyors, and conveyances.
- Place products in equipment or on work surfaces for further processing, inspecting, or wrapping.
- Dump materials such as prepared ingredients into machine hoppers prior to mixing.
||Layout Workers, Metal and Plastic
- Mark curves, lines, holes, dimensions, and welding symbols onto workpieces, using scribes, soapstones, punches, and hand drills.
- Compute layout dimensions, and determine and mark reference points on metal stock or workpieces for further processing, such as welding and assembly.
||Structural Metal Fabricators and Fitters
- Mark reference points onto floors or face blocks and transpose them to workpieces, using measuring devices, squares, chalk, and soapstone.
- Locate and mark workpiece bending and cutting lines, allowing for stock thickness, machine and welding shrinkage, and other component specifications.
||Adhesive Bonding Machine Operators and Tenders
- Fill machines with glue, cement, or adhesives.
- Mount or load material such as paper, plastic, wood, or rubber in feeding mechanisms of cementing or gluing machines.
||Welding, Soldering, and Brazing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Mark weld points and positions of components on workpieces, using rules, squares, templates, or scribes.
- Load or feed workpieces into welding machines to join or bond components.
||Shoe Machine Operators and Tenders
- Draw thread through machine guide slots, needles, and presser feet in preparation for stitching, or load rolls of wire through machine axles.
- Load hot-melt plastic rod glue through reactivator axles, using wrenches, and switch on reactivators, setting temperature and timers to heat glue to specifications.
- Load and unload equipment chambers and transport finished product to storage or to area for further processing.
- Measure and weigh amounts of crystal growing materials, mix and grind materials, load materials into container, and monitor processing procedures to help identify crystal growing problems.
||Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Load workpieces, plastic material, or chemical solutions into machines.
- Scribe reference lines on workpieces as guides for cutting operations, according to blueprints, templates, sample parts, or specifications.
||Molding, Coremaking, and Casting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Mix and measure compounds, or weigh premixed compounds, and dump them into machine tubs, cavities, or molds.
- Pour or load metal or sand into melting pots, furnaces, molds, or hoppers, using shovels, ladles, or machines.
||Cooling and Freezing Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Measure or weigh specified amounts of ingredients or materials, and load them into tanks, vats, hoppers, or other equipment.
- Load and position wrapping paper, sticks, bags, or cartons into dispensing machines.
||Furnace, Kiln, Oven, Drier, and Kettle Operators and Tenders
- Load equipment receptacles or conveyors with material to be processed, by hand or using hoists.
- Feed fuel, such as coal and coke, into fireboxes or onto conveyors, and remove ashes from furnaces, using shovels and buckets.
||Mixing and Blending Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Dump or pour specified amounts of materials into machinery or equipment.
- Unload mixtures into containers or onto conveyors for further processing.
||Printing Press Operators
- Obtain or mix inks and fill ink fountains.
- Load presses with paper and make necessary adjustments, according to paper size.
||Textile Bleaching and Dyeing Machine Operators and Tenders
- Mount rolls of cloth on machines, using hoists, or place textile goods in machines or pieces of equipment.
- Creel machines with bobbins or twine.