||Etchers and Engravers
- Adjust depths and sizes of cuts by adjusting heights of worktables, or by adjusting machine-arm gauges.
- Set reduction scales to attain specified sizes of reproduction on workpieces, and set pantograph controls for required heights, depths, and widths of cuts.
- Start machines and lower cutting tools to beginning points on patterns.
- Insert cutting tools or bits into machines and secure them with wrenches.
- Select and insert required templates into pattern frames beneath the stylus of a machine cutting tool or router.
- Observe actions of cutting tools through microscopes and adjust stylus movement to ensure accurate reproduction.
||Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Except Sawing
- Adjust machine tables or cutting devices and set controls on machines to produce specified cuts or operations.
- Install and adjust blades, cutterheads, boring-bits, or sanding-belts, using hand tools and rules.
- Change alignment and adjustment of sanding, cutting, or boring machine guides to prevent defects in finished products, using hand tools.
- Select knives, saws, blades, cutter heads, cams, bits, or belts, according to workpiece, machine functions, or product specifications.
- Attach and adjust guides, stops, clamps, chucks, or feed mechanisms, using hand tools.
||Cutting and Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Remove defective or substandard materials from machines, and readjust machine components so that products meet standards.
- Select and install machine components, such as cutting blades, rollers, and templates, according to specifications, using hand tools.
- Type instructions on computer keyboards, push buttons to activate computer programs, or manually set cutting guides, clamps, and knives.
- Change or replace saw blades, cables, cutter heads, and grinding wheels, using hand tools.
- Position width gauge blocks between blades, and level blades and insert wedges into frames to secure blades to frames.
||Lathe and Turning Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Position, secure, and align cutting tools in toolholders on machines, using hand tools, and verify their positions with measuring instruments.
- Select cutting tools and tooling instructions, according to written specifications or knowledge of metal properties and shop mathematics.
- Move controls to set cutting speeds and depths and feed rates, and to position tools in relation to workpieces.
- Install holding fixtures, cams, gears, and stops to control stock and tool movement, using hand tools, power tools, and measuring instruments.
- Mount attachments, such as relieving or tracing attachments, to perform operations, such as duplicating contours of templates or trimming workpieces.
||Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Install, align, and lock specified punches, dies, cutting blades, or other fixtures in rams or beds of machines, using gauges, templates, feelers, shims, and hand tools.
- Turn controls to set cutting speeds, feed rates, or table angles for specified operations.
- Set blade tensions, heights, and angles to perform prescribed cuts, using wrenches.
- Select, clean, and install spacers, rubber sleeves, or cutters on arbors.
||Milling and Planing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Select cutting speeds, feed rates, and depths of cuts, applying knowledge of metal properties and shop mathematics.
- Move controls to set cutting specifications, to position cutting tools and workpieces in relation to each other, and to start machines.
- Select and install cutting tools and other accessories according to specifications, using hand tools or power tools.
- Mount attachments and tools, such as pantographs, engravers, or routers, to perform other operations, such as drilling or boring.
||Sawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Wood
- Adjust saw blades, using wrenches and rulers, or by turning handwheels or pressing pedals, levers, or panel buttons.
- Mount and bolt sawing blades or attachments to machine shafts.
- Set up, operate, or tend saws or machines that cut or trim wood to specified dimensions, such as circular saws, band saws, multiple-blade sawing machines, scroll saws, ripsaws, or crozer machines.
- Select saw blades, types or grades of stock, or cutting procedures to be used, according to work orders or supervisors' instructions.
||Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Determine setup procedures and select machine dies and parts, according to specifications.
- Install dies, machine screws, and sizing rings on machines that extrude thermoplastic or metal materials.
- Change dies on extruding machines according to production line changes.
- Select nozzles, spacers, and wire guides, according to diameters and lengths of rods.
||Molding, Coremaking, and Casting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Install dies onto machines or presses and coat dies with parting agents, according to work order specifications.
- Obtain and move specified patterns to work stations, manually or using hoists, and secure patterns to machines, using wrenches.
- Select and install blades, tools, or other attachments for each operation.
||Pressers, Textile, Garment, and Related Materials
- Select appropriate pressing machines, based on garment properties such as heat tolerance.
- Select, install, and adjust machine components, including pressing forms, rollers, and guides, using hoists and hand tools.
||Extruding, Forming, Pressing, and Compacting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Select and install machine components, such as dies, molds, and cutters, according to specifications, using hand tools and measuring devices.
- Install, align, and adjust neck rings, press plungers, and feeder tubes.
||Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, and Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Select machine tooling to be used, using knowledge of machine and production requirements.
- Mount and position tools in machine chucks, spindles, or other tool holding devices, using hand tools.
||Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Install attachments to machines for gluing, folding, printing, or cutting.
- Measure, space, and set saw blades, cutters, and perforators, according to product specifications.
||Drilling and Boring Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Select and set cutting speeds, feed rates, depths of cuts, and cutting tools, according to machining instructions or knowledge of metal properties.
- Install tools in spindles.
||Tool Grinders, Filers, and Sharpeners
- Select and mount grinding wheels on machines, according to specifications, using hand tools and applying knowledge of abrasives and grinding procedures.
- Compute numbers, widths, and angles of cutting tools, micrometers, scales, and gauges, and adjust tools to produce specified cuts.
||Rolling Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Position, align, and secure arbors, spindles, coils, mandrels, dies, and slitting knives.
- Select rolls, dies, roll stands, and chucks from data charts to form specified contours and to fabricate products.
||Welding, Soldering, and Brazing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Select, position, align, and bolt jigs, holding fixtures, guides, or stops onto machines, using measuring instruments and hand tools.
- Select torch tips, alloys, flux, coil, tubing, or wire, according to metal types or thicknesses, data charts, or records.
||Welders, Cutters, Solderers, and Brazers
- Select and install torches, torch tips, filler rods, and flux, according to welding chart specifications or types and thicknesses of metals.
- Determine required equipment and welding methods, applying knowledge of metallurgy, geometry, and welding techniques.
||Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Install, adjust, and remove dies, synchronizing cams, forging hammers, and stop guides, using overhead cranes or other hoisting devices, and hand tools.
- Select, align, and bolt positioning fixtures, stops, and specified dies to rams and anvils, forging rolls, or presses and hammers.
||Ophthalmic Laboratory Technicians
- Select lens blanks, molds, tools, and polishing or grinding wheels, according to production specifications.
- Position and adjust cutting tools to specified curvature, dimensions, and depth of cut.