- Set up or operate assembly or processing equipment, such as lasers, cameras, die bonders, wire bonders, dispensers, reflow ovens, soldering irons, die shears, wire pull testers, temperature or humidity chambers, or optical spectrum analyzers.
- Assemble fiber optical, optoelectronic, or free-space optics components, subcomponents, assemblies, or subassemblies.
- Assemble or adjust parts or related electrical units of prototypes to prepare for testing.
- Assemble components of energy-efficient optical communications systems involving photonic switches, optical backplanes, or optoelectronic interfaces.
- Build photonics tools to be applied to electrical grids to detect hot spots, such as failing insulators or conductors.
- Assemble devices or equipment to be used in green technology applications, including solar energy, high efficiency solid state lighting, energy management, smart buildings, or green processes.
||Sewing Machine Operators
- Position items under needles, using marks on machines, clamps, templates, or cloth as guides.
- Position material or articles in clamps, templates, or hoop frames prior to automatic operation of machines.
||Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Position, align, and secure workpieces against fixtures or stops on machine beds or on dies.
- Place workpieces on cutting tables, manually or using hoists, cranes, or sledges.
||Shoe Machine Operators and Tenders
- Collect shoe parts from conveyer belts or racks and place them in machinery such as ovens or on molds for dressing, returning them to conveyers or racks to send them to the next work station.
- Select and place spools of thread or pre-wound bobbins into shuttles, or onto spindles or loupers of stitching machines.
||Gem and Diamond Workers
- Secure gems or diamonds in holders, chucks, dops, lapidary sticks, or blocks for cutting, polishing, grinding, drilling, or shaping.
- Place stones in clamps on polishing machines and polish facets of stones, using felt-covered or canvas-covered polishing wheels and polishing compounds such as tripoli and rouge.
||Precious Metal Workers
- Secure molded items in chucks of lathes, and activate lathes to finish inner and outer surfaces of items.
- Position articles over snarling tools and raise design areas, using foot-powered hammers.
||Laundry and Dry-Cleaning Workers
- Hang curtains, drapes, blankets, pants, and other garments on stretch frames to dry.
- Spread soiled articles on work tables, and position stained portions over vacuum heads or on marble slabs.
||Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Except Sawing
- Secure woodstock against a guide or in a holding device, place woodstock on a conveyor, or dump woodstock in a hopper to feed woodstock into machines.
||Lathe and Turning Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Lift metal stock or workpieces manually or using hoists, and position and secure them in machines, using fasteners and hand tools.
||Milling and Planing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Position and secure workpieces on machines, using holding devices, measuring instruments, hand tools, and hoists.
||Molding, Coremaking, and Casting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Position and secure workpieces on machines, and start feeding mechanisms.
||Tool and Die Makers
- Lift, position, and secure machined parts on surface plates or worktables, using hoists, vises, v-blocks, or angle plates.
||Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, and Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Lift and position workpieces, manually or with hoists, and secure them in hoppers or on machine tables, faceplates, or chucks, using clamps.
||Tool Grinders, Filers, and Sharpeners
- Attach workpieces to grinding machines and form specified sections and repair cracks, using welding or brazing equipment.
||Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Position, adjust, and secure stock material or workpieces against stops, on arbors, or in chucks, fixtures, or automatic feeding mechanisms, manually or using hoists.
- Place tires into molds for new tread.
||Structural Metal Fabricators and Fitters
- Position or tighten braces, jacks, clamps, ropes, or bolt straps, or bolt parts in position for welding or riveting.
||Sawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Wood
- Position and clamp stock on tables, conveyors, or carriages, using hoists, guides, stops, dogs, wedges, or wrenches.
||Textile Winding, Twisting, and Drawing Out Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Place bobbins on spindles and insert spindles into bobbin-winding machines.
||Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Mount workpieces in fixtures, on arbors, or between centers of machines.