11-9013.02 - Farm and Ranch Managers
Green occupations will likely change as a result of the green economy. Green economy activities and technologies are increasing the demand for occupations, shaping the work and worker requirements needed for occupational performance, or generating new and emerging occupations.
This is a Green Enhanced Skills occupation — green economy activities and technologies are likely to cause significant change to the work and worker requirements. New tasks, skills, knowledge, credentials may be needed. Employment demand remains the same, but there is potential for an increase.
Farm and ranch managers work in the following green economy sectors:
- Agriculture and Forestry — This sector covers activities related to using natural pesticides, efficient land management or farming, and aquaculture.
They perform these tasks important to the green economy:
- Direct livestock or crop waste recycling operations.
- Monitor and adjust irrigation systems to distribute water according to crop needs and to avoid wasting water.
- Monitor pasture or grazing land use to ensure that livestock are properly fed or that conservation methods, such as rotational grazing, are used.
- Replace chemical insecticides with environmentally friendly practices, such as adding pest-repelling plants to fields.