Summary Report for:
31-1015.00 - Orderlies
Transport patients to areas such as operating rooms or x-ray rooms using wheelchairs, stretchers, or moveable beds. May maintain stocks of supplies or clean and transport equipment.
Sample of reported job titles: Patient Care Assistant (PCA), Patient Care Technician (PCT), Attendant, Resident Assistant
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Answer patient call signals, signal lights, bells, or intercom systems to determine patients' needs.
- Carry messages or documents between departments.
- Change soiled linens, such as bed linens, drapes, or cubicle curtains.
- Clean and sanitize patient rooms, bathrooms, examination rooms, or other patient areas.
- Clean equipment, such as wheelchairs, hospital beds, or portable medical equipment, documenting needed repairs or maintenance.
- Collect and transport infectious or hazardous waste in closed containers for sterilization or disposal, in accordance with applicable law, standards, or policies.
- Collect soiled linen or trash.
- Disinfect or sterilize equipment or supplies, using germicides or sterilizing equipment.
- Lift or assist others to lift patients to move them on or off beds, examination tables, surgical tables, or stretchers.
- Position or hold patients in position for surgical preparation.
Tools & Technology
Tools used in this occupation:
|Automated external defibrillators AED or hard paddles — Automated external defibrillators AED|
|Clinical hydraulic lifts or accessories — Hydraulic patient lifts|
|Electronic medical thermometers — Electronic patient thermometers|
|Gurneys or scissor lifts — Medical gurneys|
|Medical gas cylinders or related devices — Oxygen tanks|
|Patient shifting boards or accessories — Patient transfer boards|
|Shower or bath chairs or seats for the physically challenged — Shower chairs|
|Therapeutic heating or cooling pads or compresses or packs — Therapeutic cold packs; Therapeutic hot packs|
|Wheelchairs — Patient transport wheelchairs|
Technology used in this occupation:
|Medical software — Electronic medical record EMR software; GE Healthcare Centricity EMR; Medical record charting software|
Interest code: CRS
|Conventional — Conventional occupations frequently involve following set procedures and routines. These occupations can include working with data and details more than with ideas. Usually there is a clear line of authority to follow.|
|Realistic — Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.|
|Social — Social occupations frequently involve working with, communicating with, and teaching people. These occupations often involve helping or providing service to others.|
|Support — Occupations that satisfy this work value offer supportive management that stands behind employees. Corresponding needs are Company Policies, Supervision: Human Relations and Supervision: Technical.|
|Relationships — Occupations that satisfy this work value allow employees to provide service to others and work with co-workers in a friendly non-competitive environment. Corresponding needs are Co-workers, Moral Values and Social Service.|
|Working Conditions — Occupations that satisfy this work value offer job security and good working conditions. Corresponding needs are Activity, Compensation, Independence, Security, Variety and Working Conditions.|
Wages & Employment Trends
|Median wages (2013)||$11.75 hourly, $24,440 annual|
|Employment (2012)||55,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2012-2022)||Faster than average (15% to 21%)|
|Projected job openings (2012-2022)||19,400|
|Top industries (2012)|
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2013 wage data and 2012-2022 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2012-2022). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- Nursing Assistants and Orderlies . Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor. Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014-15 Edition.
- National Association for Home Care and Hospice (NAHC) , 228 7th St. SE, Washington, DC 20003. Phone: (202) 547-7424. Fax: (202) 547-3540.