Summary Report for:
51-8099.02 - Methane/Landfill Gas Generation System Technicians
Monitor, operate, and maintain landfill gas collection system components and environmental monitoring and control systems.
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Operate landfill gas, methane, or natural gas fueled electrical generation systems.
- Perform routine maintenance or minor repairs to landfill gas collection and power generation systems, including equipment such as pneumatic pumps, blower or flare systems, and condensate management systems.
- Balance individual gas extraction wells at landfill gas facilities.
- Diagnose or troubleshoot problems with methane or landfill gas collection systems.
- Download landfill gas well field monitoring data.
- Measure landfill gas vegetative covering, installing additional covering as required.
- Measure liquid levels in landfill gas extraction wells.
- Monitor landfill well fields periodically to ensure proper functioning and performance.
- Prepare and submit compliance, operational, and safety forms or reports.
- Read, interpret, and adjust monitoring equipment, such as flow meters and pressure or vacuum gauges.
Tools & Technology
Tools used in this occupation:
|Anemometers — Micro anemometers|
|Combustible or hazardous gas detectors for power generators — Combustible gas monitors|
|Flare or vent stacks — Enclosed flares; Open flares|
|Oxygen gas analyzers — Oxygen analyzers|
Technology used in this occupation:
|Analytical or scientific software — Landfill gas analysis software; Landtec System Software LFG Pro|
|Electronic mail software — Email software|
|Office suite software — Microsoft Office software|
|Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel|
|Word processing software — Microsoft Word|
|Support — Occupations that satisfy this work value offer supportive management that stands behind employees. Corresponding needs are Company Policies, Supervision: Human Relations and Supervision: Technical.|
|Working Conditions — Occupations that satisfy this work value offer job security and good working conditions. Corresponding needs are Activity, Compensation, Independence, Security, Variety and Working Conditions.|
|Achievement — Occupations that satisfy this work value are results oriented and allow employees to use their strongest abilities, giving them a feeling of accomplishment. Corresponding needs are Ability Utilization and Achievement.|
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wages data collected from Plant and System Operators, All Other.
Employment data collected from Plant and System Operators, All Other.
Industry data collected from Plant and System Operators, All Other.
|Median wages (2012)||$25.55 hourly, $53,130 annual|
|Employment (2010)||11,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2010-2020)||Little or no change (-2% to 2%)|
|Projected job openings (2010-2020)||3,700|
|Top industries (2010)|
State & National
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2012 wage data and 2010-2020 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2010-2020). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.