Details Report for:
51-8099.01 - Biofuels Processing Technicians
Calculate, measure, load, mix, and process refined feedstock with additives in fermentation or reaction process vessels and monitor production process. Perform, and keep records of, plant maintenance, repairs, and safety inspections.
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Calculate, measure, load, or mix refined feedstock used in biofuels production.
- Operate chemical processing equipment for the production of biofuels.
- Operate equipment, such as a centrifuge, to extract biofuels products and secondary by-products or reusable fractions.
- Operate valves, pumps, engines, or generators to control and adjust biofuels production.
- Process refined feedstock with additives in fermentation or reaction process vessels.
- Assess the quality of biofuels additives for reprocessing.
- Calibrate liquid flow devices and meters including fuel, chemical, and water meters.
- Collect biofuels samples and perform routine laboratory tests or analyses to assess biofuels quality.
- Inspect biofuels plant or processing equipment regularly, recording or reporting damage and mechanical problems.
- Measure and monitor raw biofuels feedstock.
- Monitor and record biofuels processing data.
- Monitor and record flow meter performance.
- Monitor batch, continuous flow, or hybrid biofuels production processes.
- Monitor stored biofuels products or secondary by-products until reused or transferred to users.
- Preprocess feedstock in preparation for physical, chemical, or biological fuel production processes.
- Clean biofuels processing work area, ensuring compliance with safety regulations.
- Coordinate raw product sourcing or collection.
- Perform routine maintenance on mechanical, electrical, or electronic equipment or instruments used in the processing of biofuels.
- Rebuild, repair, or replace biofuels processing equipment components.
Tools used in this occupation:
- Adjustable widemouth pliers
- Adjustable wrenches — Adjustable hand wrenches
- Air compressors
- Air conveyors — Pneumatic conveyor systems
- Air dryers — Materials dryers
- Air samplers or collectors — Air monitoring equipment; Emissions monitoring systems
- Alarm systems — Emergency alarm systems
- Ball valves
- Belt conveyors — Belt conveyor systems
- Benchtop centrifuges
- Binocular light compound microscopes
- Clock timers — Electric timing devices
- Control valves — Flow control valves FCV; Throttle control valves TCV
- Deionization or demineralization equipment — Demineralizers
- Desktop computers
- Digestion systems — Methanators
- Distillation pipings or columns or fittings — Distillation columns; Stripper columns
- Ear plugs — Protective ear plugs
- Evaporative coolers — Cooling towers
- Filtering machinery — Belt filters
- Flow transmitters
- Front end loaders — Wheeled front end loaders
- Gas chromatographs — Gas chromatographs GC
- Gate valves — Gate butterfly valves
- Globe valves — Stop valves
- Grinding mills — Milling equipment
- Hand pumps — Hand sampling pumps
- Handheld refractometers or polarimeters — Portable refractometers
- Heat exchangers
- High pressure liquid chromatograph chromatography — High pressure liquid chromatograph HPLC equipment
- Hoists — Chain hoists
- Hydrometers — Digital hydrometers
- Infrared imagers — Infrared temperature guns
- Laboratory crushers or pulverizers — Crusher screens
- Laboratory evaporators — High vacuum evaporation systems
- Laboratory flasks — Reaction flasks
- Laboratory graduated cylinders — Glass graduated cylinders
- Laboratory mechanical convection ovens — Gravity convection ovens
- Laboratory mixers — Agitators
- Laboratory sifting equipment — Sifting screens
- Level sensors or transmitters — Level transmitters
- Mixers or agitators — Static mixers
- Moisture balances — Halogen moisture balances
- Moisture meters — Moisture analyzers
- Pallet trucks — Pallet jacks
- Personal computers
- pH meters — pH probes
- Plant samples analysis equipment — Sample ports
- Pressure transmitters — Pressure gauges
- Protective gloves — Safety gloves
- Respiration air supplying self contained breathing apparatus or accessories — Self-contained breathing apparatus
- Respirators — Dust and particulate respirators
- Reverse osmosis equipment
- Safety harnesses or belts — Fall protection harnesses
- Screwdrivers — Phillips head screwdrivers; Straight screwdrivers
- Skid steer loaders
- Spill kits — Hazardous material spill kits
- Standard fermentation units — Fermentation processing vessels
- Temperature transmitters — Temperature sensors
- Test sieves — Mole sieves
- Titration equipment — Autotitrators; Titrators
- Two way radios — Mobile radios
- Vacuum or mercury vapour equipment — Vacuum systems
- Viscosimeters — Viscosity meters
- Water samplers
- Water tube boiler — Steam boilers
Technology used in this occupation:
- Facilities management software — Computerized maintenance management system CMMS software
- Industrial control software — Digital control systems DCS software; Human machine interface HMI software
- Inventory management software — Inventory control software
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Word processing software — Microsoft Word
- Evaluate quality of materials or products.
- Calculate specific material, equipment, or labor requirements for production.
- Collect samples of materials or products for testing.
- Direct operational or production activities.
- Measure ingredients or substances to be used in production processes.
- Maintain sustainable energy production equipment.
- Record operational or production data.
- Load materials into production equipment.
- Adjust equipment controls to regulate flow of water, cleaning solutions, or other liquids.
- Operate biomass or biofuel production equipment.
- Clean work areas.
- Operate pumping systems or equipment.
- Replace worn equipment components.
- Notify others of equipment repair or maintenance needs.
- Inspect sustainable energy production facilities or equipment.
- Measure stock or liquid levels in sustainable fuel production systems.
- Prepare biological feedstock for physical, chemical, or biological processing.
- Monitor biofuel production operations.
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wages data collected from Plant and System Operators, All Other.
Employment data collected from Plant and System Operators, All Other.
Industry data collected from Plant and System Operators, All Other.
|Median wages (2014)||$26.55 hourly, $55,230 annual|
|Employment (2012)||12,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2012-2022)||Little or no change (-2% to 2%)|
|Projected job openings (2012-2022)||4,500|
|Top industries (2012)||
Government (30% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2014 wage data and 2012-2022 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2012-2022). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.