Summary Report for:
51-8099.01 - Biofuels Processing Technicians
Calculate, measure, load, mix, and process refined feedstock with additives in fermentation or reaction process vessels and monitor production process. Perform, and keep records of, plant maintenance, repairs, and safety inspections.
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Calculate, measure, load, or mix refined feedstock used in biofuels production.
- Operate chemical processing equipment for the production of biofuels.
- Operate equipment, such as a centrifuge, to extract biofuels products and secondary by-products or reusable fractions.
- Operate valves, pumps, engines, or generators to control and adjust biofuels production.
- Process refined feedstock with additives in fermentation or reaction process vessels.
- Assess the quality of biofuels additives for reprocessing.
- Calibrate liquid flow devices and meters including fuel, chemical, and water meters.
- Collect biofuels samples and perform routine laboratory tests or analyses to assess biofuels quality.
- Inspect biofuels plant or processing equipment regularly, recording or reporting damage and mechanical problems.
- Measure and monitor raw biofuels feedstock.
Tools & Technology
Tools used in this occupation:
|Air samplers or collectors — Air monitoring equipment; Emissions monitoring systems|
|Control valves — Flow control valves FCV; Throttle control valves TCV|
|Distillation pipings or columns or fittings — Distillation columns; Stripper columns|
|Pressure transmitters — Pressure gauges|
|Titration equipment — Autotitrators; Titrators|
Technology used in this occupation:
|Facilities management software — Computerized maintenance management system CMMS software|
|Industrial control software — Digital control systems DCS software; Human machine interface HMI software|
|Inventory management software — Inventory control software|
|Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel|
|Word processing software — Microsoft Word|
|Support — Occupations that satisfy this work value offer supportive management that stands behind employees. Corresponding needs are Company Policies, Supervision: Human Relations and Supervision: Technical.|
|Working Conditions — Occupations that satisfy this work value offer job security and good working conditions. Corresponding needs are Activity, Compensation, Independence, Security, Variety and Working Conditions.|
|Achievement — Occupations that satisfy this work value are results oriented and allow employees to use their strongest abilities, giving them a feeling of accomplishment. Corresponding needs are Ability Utilization and Achievement.|
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wages data collected from Plant and System Operators, All Other.
Employment data collected from Plant and System Operators, All Other.
Industry data collected from Plant and System Operators, All Other.
|Median wages (2012)||$25.55 hourly, $53,130 annual|
|Employment (2010)||11,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2010-2020)||Little or no change (-2% to 2%)|
|Projected job openings (2010-2020)||3,700|
|Top industries (2010)|
State & National
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2012 wage data and 2010-2020 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2010-2020). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.