Summary Report for:
11-1011.03 - Chief Sustainability Officers
Communicate and coordinate with management, shareholders, customers, and employees to address sustainability issues. Enact or oversee a corporate sustainability strategy.
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Develop or execute strategies to address issues such as energy use, resource conservation, recycling, pollution reduction, waste elimination, transportation, education, and building design.
- Direct sustainability program operations to ensure compliance with environmental or governmental regulations.
- Monitor and evaluate effectiveness of sustainability programs.
- Develop methodologies to assess the viability or success of sustainability initiatives.
- Develop, or oversee the development of, marketing or outreach media for sustainability projects or events.
- Develop, or oversee the development of, sustainability evaluation or monitoring systems.
- Develop sustainability reports, presentations, or proposals for supplier, employee, academia, media, government, public interest, or other groups.
- Evaluate and approve proposals for sustainability projects, considering factors such as cost effectiveness, technical feasibility, and integration with other initiatives.
- Formulate or implement sustainability campaign or marketing strategies.
- Research environmental sustainability issues, concerns, or stakeholder interests.
Tools & Technology
Tools used in this occupation:
|Calculators or accessories — 10-key calculators|
|Mobile phones — Smartphones|
|Notebook computers — Laptop computers|
|Photocopiers — Photocopying equipment|
|Videoconferencing systems — Video teleconferencing systems|
Technology used in this occupation:
|Data base user interface and query software — Microsoft Access; Oracle software|
|Electronic mail software — Email software|
|Enterprise resource planning ERP software — Microsoft Great Plains software; SAP software|
|Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel|
|Video conferencing software — Teleconferencing software|
|Achievement — Occupations that satisfy this work value are results oriented and allow employees to use their strongest abilities, giving them a feeling of accomplishment. Corresponding needs are Ability Utilization and Achievement.|
|Independence — Occupations that satisfy this work value allow employees to work on their own and make decisions. Corresponding needs are Creativity, Responsibility and Autonomy.|
|Working Conditions — Occupations that satisfy this work value offer job security and good working conditions. Corresponding needs are Activity, Compensation, Independence, Security, Variety and Working Conditions.|
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wages data collected from Chief Executives.
Employment data collected from Chief Executives.
Industry data collected from Chief Executives.
|Median wages (2012)||$80.84 hourly, $168,140 annual|
|Employment (2010)||370,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2010-2020)||Slower than average (3% to 9%)|
|Projected job openings (2010-2020)||111,500|
|Top industries (2010)|
State & National
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2012 wage data and 2010-2020 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2010-2020). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
for Chief Sustainability Officers
State & National Job Banks
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- Top Executives . Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor. Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2012-13 Edition.