Summary Report for:
11-9041.01 - Biofuels/Biodiesel Technology and Product Development Managers
Define, plan, or execute biofuels/biodiesel research programs that evaluate alternative feedstock and process technologies with near-term commercial potential.
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Conduct research to breed or develop energy crops with improved biomass yield, environmental adaptability, pest resistance, production efficiency, bioprocessing characteristics, or reduced environmental impacts.
- Oversee biodiesel/biofuels prototyping or development projects.
- Propose new biofuels products, processes, technologies or applications based on findings from applied biofuels or biomass research projects.
- Analyze data from biofuels studies, such as fluid dynamics, water treatments, or solvent extraction and recovery processes.
- Conduct experiments on biomass or pretreatment technologies.
- Conduct experiments to test new or alternate feedstock fermentation processes.
- Design chemical conversion processes, such as etherification, esterification, interesterification, transesterification, distillation, hydrogenation, oxidation or reduction of fats and oils, and vegetable oil refining.
- Design or conduct applied biodiesel or biofuels research projects on topics such as transport, thermodynamics, mixing, filtration, distillation, fermentation, extraction, and separation.
- Design or execute solvent or product recovery experiments in laboratory or field settings.
- Develop methods to estimate the efficiency of biomass pretreatments.
Tools & Technology
Tools used in this occupation:
|Dissolved oxygen meters — Dissolved oxygen monitors|
|Mass spectrometers — Gas chromatograph mass spectrometers GC-MS|
|Remote reading thermometers — Temperature probes|
|Standard fermentation units — Fermentation systems|
|Temperature cycling chambers or thermal cyclers — Polymerase chain reaction PCR equipment|
Technology used in this occupation:
|Analytical or scientific software — Agilent ChemStation; Fleet Asset Management and Optimization Solutions FAMOS PEPSE; GE Energy GateCycle|
|Computer aided design CAD software|
|Electronic mail software — Email software|
|Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel|
|Word processing software — Microsoft Word|
This occupation may require a background in the following science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) educational disciplines:
Interest code: EI
|Enterprising — Enterprising occupations frequently involve starting up and carrying out projects. These occupations can involve leading people and making many decisions. Sometimes they require risk taking and often deal with business.|
|Investigative — Investigative occupations frequently involve working with ideas, and require an extensive amount of thinking. These occupations can involve searching for facts and figuring out problems mentally.|
|Achievement — Occupations that satisfy this work value are results oriented and allow employees to use their strongest abilities, giving them a feeling of accomplishment. Corresponding needs are Ability Utilization and Achievement.|
|Working Conditions — Occupations that satisfy this work value offer job security and good working conditions. Corresponding needs are Activity, Compensation, Independence, Security, Variety and Working Conditions.|
|Independence — Occupations that satisfy this work value allow employees to work on their own and make decisions. Corresponding needs are Creativity, Responsibility and Autonomy.|
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wages data collected from Architectural and Engineering Managers.
Employment data collected from Architectural and Engineering Managers.
Industry data collected from Architectural and Engineering Managers.
|Median wages (2012)||$60.03 hourly, $124,870 annual|
|Employment (2010)||177,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2010-2020)||Slower than average (3% to 9%)|
|Projected job openings (2010-2020)||49,700|
|Top industries (2010)|
State & National
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2012 wage data and 2010-2020 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2010-2020). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
for Biofuels/Biodiesel Technology and Product Development Managers
State & National Job Banks
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- Architectural and Engineering Managers . Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor. Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2012-13 Edition.