17-1011.00 - Architects, Except Landscape and Naval
Green occupations will likely change as a result of the green economy. Green economy activities and technologies are increasing the demand for occupations, shaping the work and worker requirements needed for occupational performance, or generating new and emerging occupations.
This is a Green Enhanced Skills occupation — green economy activities and technologies are likely to cause significant change to the work and worker requirements. New tasks, skills, knowledge, credentials may be needed. Employment demand remains the same, but there is potential for an increase.
Architects, except landscape and naval work in the following green economy sectors:
- Green Construction — This sector covers activities related to constructing new green buildings, retrofitting residential and commercial buildings, and installing other green construction technology.
- Research, Design, and Consulting Services — This sector encompasses "indirect jobs" to the green economy which includes activities such as energy consulting or research and other related business services.
They perform these tasks important to the green economy:
- Calculate potential energy savings by comparing estimated energy consumption of proposed design to baseline standards.
- Design environmentally sound structural upgrades to existing buildings, such as natural lighting systems, green roofs, or rainwater collection systems.
- Design or plan construction of green building projects to minimize adverse environmental impact or conserve energy.
- Design structures that incorporate environmentally friendly building practices or concepts, such as Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) standards.
- Gather information related to projects' environmental sustainability or operational efficiency.
- Perform predesign services, such as feasibility or environmental impact studies.
- Plan or design structures such as residences, office buildings, theatres, factories, or other structural properties in accordance with environmental, safety, or other regulations.