Summary Report for:
13-1082.00 - Project Management Specialists
Analyze and coordinate the schedule, timeline, procurement, staffing, and budget of a product or service on a per project basis. Lead and guide the work of technical staff. May serve as a point of contact for the client or customer.
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Assign duties or responsibilities to project personnel.
- Communicate with key stakeholders to determine project requirements and objectives.
- Confer with project personnel to identify and resolve problems.
- Create project status presentations for delivery to customers or project personnel.
- Develop or update project plans including information such as objectives, technologies, schedules, funding, and staffing.
- Identify project needs such as resources, staff, or finances by reviewing project objectives and schedules.
- Identify, review, or select vendors or consultants to meet project needs.
- Monitor costs incurred by project staff to identify budget issues.
- Monitor project milestones and deliverables.
- Monitor the performance of project team members to provide performance feedback.
- Negotiate with project stakeholders or suppliers to obtain resources or materials.
- Plan, schedule, or coordinate project activities to meet deadlines.
- Prepare and submit budget estimates, progress reports, or cost tracking reports.
- Produce and distribute project documents.
- Propose, review, or approve modifications to project plans.
- Recruit or hire project personnel.
- Report project status, such as budget, resources, technical issues, or customer satisfaction, to managers.
- Request and review project updates to ensure deadlines are met.
- Schedule or facilitate project meetings.
- Submit project deliverables to clients, ensuring adherence to quality standards.
- Accounting software — Intuit QuickBooks
- Analytical or scientific software — IBM SPSS Statistics ; SAS
- Application server software — GitHub
- Business intelligence and data analysis software — IBM Cognos Impromptu ; Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition ; Qlik Tech QlikView ; Tableau
- Computer based training software — Blackboard software; Moodle; Padlet
- Content workflow software — Atlassian JIRA
- Customer relationship management CRM software — Salesforce software
- Data base reporting software — SAP Crystal Reports
- Data base user interface and query software — Airtable; Data entry software ; Microsoft Access ; Oracle software
- Desktop communications software — Eko; Skype
- Desktop publishing software — Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign
- Development environment software — Microsoft Azure ; Microsoft Visual Basic ; Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications VBA
- Document management software — Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat ; Dropbox
- Electronic mail software — IBM Notes ; Microsoft Exchange ; Microsoft Outlook
- Enterprise application integration software — Atlassian Bamboo
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software — Microsoft Dynamics GP ; NetSuite ERP ; Oracle Hyperion ; Oracle JD Edwards EnterpriseOne (see all 7 examples)
- File versioning software — Git
- Graphics or photo imaging software — Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop ; JamBoard; Microsoft Visio
- Human resources software — ADP Workforce Now
- Instant messaging software — Blink; GroupMe
- Multi-media educational software — Nearpod
- Network conferencing software — LogMeIn GoToWebinar; Slido
- Office suite software — Google Drive ; Microsoft Office
- Operating system software — Apple macOS ; Linux ; Microsoft Windows
- Presentation software — Apple Keynote; Google Slides; Microsoft PowerPoint ; Poll Everywhere
- Project management software — Confluence ; Google Classroom; Oracle Primavera Enterprise Project Portfolio Management ; Slack (see all 7 examples)
- Sales and marketing software — Marketo Marketing Automation
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Video conferencing software — Cisco Systems Webex; Google Meet; LogMeIn GoToMeeting; Zoom
- Video creation and editing software — Flipgrid; Loom; Screencastify; YouTube (see all 5 examples)
- Web page creation and editing software — Google Sites; LinkedIn ; Social media sites
- Word processing software — 3M Post-it App; Google Docs ; Microsoft OneNote; Microsoft Word (see all 5 examples)
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
Detailed Work Activities
- Develop detailed project plans.
- Manage information technology projects or system activities.
- Participate in staffing decisions.
- Assign duties or work schedules to employees.
- Collaborate with others to resolve information technology issues.
- Coordinate resource procurement activities.
- Develop operating strategies, plans, or procedures.
- Discuss business strategies, practices, or policies with managers.
- Gather organizational performance information.
- Manage construction activities.
- Manage operations, research, or logistics projects.
- Monitor flow of cash or other resources.
- Prepare financial documents, reports, or budgets.
- Prepare operational reports or records.
- Prepare scientific or technical reports or presentations.
- Present work to clients for approval.
- Report information to managers or other personnel.
- Select resources needed to accomplish tasks.
- Supervise information technology personnel.
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wage data for Project Management Specialists and Business Operations Specialists, All Other.
Employment data for Project Management Specialists and Business Operations Specialists, All Other.
Industry data for Project Management Specialists and Business Operations Specialists, All Other.
|Median wages (2019)||$35.37 hourly, $73,570 annual|
|Employment (2019)||1,361,800 employees|
|Projected growth (2019-2029)||Faster than average (5% to 7%)|
|Projected job openings (2019-2029)||128,000|
|Top industries (2019)|
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2019 wage data and 2019-2029 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2019-2029). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.