O*NET OnLine Help
O*NET OnLine is an application that was created for the general public to provide broad access to the O*NET database of occupational information. O*NET OnLine offers a variety of search options and occupational data, while My Next Move is a streamlined application for students and job seekers. Both applications were developed for the U.S. Department of Labor by the National Center for O*NET Development.
The O*NET database includes information on skills, abilities, knowledges, work activities, and interests associated with occupations. This information can be used to facilitate career exploration, vocational counseling, and a variety of human resources functions, such as developing job orders and position descriptions and aligning training with current workplace needs.
Information in O*NET is available for over 900 occupations. Each occupational title and code is based on the 2018 version of the Standard Occupational Classification system.
O*NET is a unique, powerful source for continually updated occupational information and labor market research. By using a contemporary, interactive skills-based database and a common language to describe worker skills and attributes, O*NET transforms mountains of data into precise, focused occupational intelligence that anyone can understand easily and efficiently.
Businesses and human resources professionals use O*NET to:
- Develop effective job descriptions quickly and easily.
- Expand the pool of quality candidates for open positions.
- Define employee and/or job-specific success factors.
- Align organizational development with workplace needs.
- Refine recruitment and training goals.
- Design competitive compensation and promotion systems.
Job seekers use O*NET to:
- Find out which jobs fit with their interests, skills, and experience.
- Explore growth career profiles using the latest available labor market data.
- Research what it takes to get their dream job.
- Maximize earning potential and job satisfaction.
- Know what it takes to be successful in their field and in related occupations.