49-3031.00 - Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists
Green occupations will likely change as a result of the green economy. Green economy activities and technologies are increasing the demand for occupations, shaping the work and worker requirements needed for occupational performance, or generating new and emerging occupations.
This is a Green Enhanced Skills occupation — green economy activities and technologies are likely to cause significant change to the work and worker requirements. New tasks, skills, knowledge, credentials may be needed. Employment demand remains the same, but there is potential for an increase.
Bus and truck mechanics and diesel engine specialists work in the following green economy sectors:
- Transportation — This sector covers activities related to increasing efficiency and/or reducing environmental impact of various modes of transportation including trucking, mass transit, and freight rail.
They perform these tasks important to the green economy:
- Adjust or repair computer controlled exhaust emissions devices.
- Follow green operational practices involving conservation of water or energy or reduction of solid waste.
- Maintain or repair vehicles with alternative fuel systems, including biodiesel, hybrid, or compressed natural gas vehicles.
- Measure vehicle emissions to determine whether they are within acceptable limits.