51-8099.01 - Biofuels Processing Technicians
Green occupations will likely change as a result of the green economy. Green economy activities and technologies are increasing the demand for occupations, shaping the work and worker requirements needed for occupational performance, or generating new and emerging occupations.
This is a Green New & Emerging occupation — the impact of green economy activities and technologies is sufficient to create the need for unique work and worker requirements, which results in the generation of new occupations.
Biofuels processing technicians work in the following green economy sectors:
- Renewable Energy Generation — This sector covers activities related to developing and using energy sources such as solar, wind, geothermal, and biomass. This sector also includes traditional, non-renewable sources of energy undergoing significant green technological changes (e.g., oil, coal, gas, and nuclear).
They perform these tasks important to the green economy:
- Assess the quality of biofuels additives for reprocessing.
- Calculate, measure, load, or mix refined feedstock used in biofuels production.
- Calibrate liquid flow devices and meters including fuel, chemical, and water meters.
- Clean biofuels processing work area, ensuring compliance with safety regulations.
- Collect biofuels samples and perform routine laboratory tests or analyses to assess biofuels quality.
- Coordinate raw product sourcing or collection.
- Inspect biofuels plant or processing equipment regularly, recording or reporting damage and mechanical problems.
- Measure and monitor raw biofuels feedstock.
- Monitor and record biofuels processing data.
- Monitor and record flow meter performance.
- Monitor batch, continuous flow, or hybrid biofuels production processes.
- Monitor stored biofuels products or secondary by-products until reused or transferred to users.
- Operate chemical processing equipment for the production of biofuels.
- Operate equipment, such as a centrifuge, to extract biofuels products and secondary by-products or reusable fractions.
- Operate valves, pumps, engines, or generators to control and adjust biofuels production.
- Perform routine maintenance on mechanical, electrical, or electronic equipment or instruments used in the processing of biofuels.
- Preprocess feedstock in preparation for physical, chemical, or biological fuel production processes.
- Process refined feedstock with additives in fermentation or reaction process vessels.
- Rebuild, repair, or replace biofuels processing equipment components.