Summary Report for:
15-1152.00 - Computer Network Support Specialists
Analyze, test, troubleshoot, and evaluate existing network systems, such as local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), and Internet systems or a segment of a network system. Perform network maintenance to ensure networks operate correctly with minimal interruption.
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Analyze network data to determine network usage, disk space availability, or server function.
- Configure and define parameters for installation or testing of local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), hubs, routers, switches, controllers, multiplexers, or related networking equipment.
- Configure security settings or access permissions for groups or individuals.
- Configure wide area network (WAN) or local area network (LAN) routers or related equipment.
- Document network support activities.
- Evaluate local area network (LAN) or wide area network (WAN) performance data to ensure sufficient availability or speed, to identify network problems, or for disaster recovery purposes.
- Identify the causes of networking problems, using diagnostic testing software and equipment.
- Install and configure wireless networking equipment.
- Install network software, including security or firewall software.
- Install new hardware or software systems or components, ensuring integration with existing network systems.
Tools & Technology
Tools used in this occupation:
|Circuit tester — Continuity testers; Test lights|
|Computer servers — Caching engines; Network address translation NAT appliances|
|Facsimile machines — Fax machines|
|Network analyzers — Asynchronous transfer mode ATM analyzers; Port analyzer adapters; Synchronous optical network SONET analyzers; Throughput testers|
|Photocopiers — Copy machines|
Technology used in this occupation:
|Administration software — Cisco Systems CiscoWorks; ifconfig *; ipconfig *; SolarWinds software|
|Backup or archival software — EMC NetWorker; NovaStor NovaBACKUP; Roxio Retrospect; Tape backup system software|
|Network monitoring software — Dartware InterMapper; Ethereal *; WildPackets OmniPeek Network Analyzer; Wireshark *|
|Network security or virtual private network VPN management software — Intrusion prevention system IPS software; Network and system vulnerability assessment software; NIKSUN NetDetector; Sonicwall SonicOS Enhanced|
|Operating system software — Apple Macintosh OS; Microsoft Hyper-V Server; Microsoft Windows; Microsoft Windows PowerShell|
* Software developed by a government agency and/or distributed as freeware or shareware.
This occupation may require a background in the following science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) educational disciplines:
|Achievement — Occupations that satisfy this work value are results oriented and allow employees to use their strongest abilities, giving them a feeling of accomplishment. Corresponding needs are Ability Utilization and Achievement.|
|Support — Occupations that satisfy this work value offer supportive management that stands behind employees. Corresponding needs are Company Policies, Supervision: Human Relations and Supervision: Technical.|
|Working Conditions — Occupations that satisfy this work value offer job security and good working conditions. Corresponding needs are Activity, Compensation, Independence, Security, Variety and Working Conditions.|
Wages & Employment Trends
Employment data collected from Computer Support Specialists.
Industry data collected from Computer Support Specialists.
|Median wages (2012)||$28.41 hourly, $59,090 annual|
|Employment (2010)||607,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2010-2020)||Average (10% to 19%)|
|Projected job openings (2010-2020)||269,500|
|Top industries (2010)|
State & National
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2012 wage data and 2010-2020 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2010-2020). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
for Computer Network Support Specialists
State & National Job Banks
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- Computer Support Specialists . Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor. Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2012-13 Edition.
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) , 2 Penn Plaza, Suite 701, New York, NY 10121-0701. Phone: (800) 342-6626.
- Computing Technology Industry Association (CompTIA) , 1815 S. Meyers Rd., Suite 300, Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181-5228. Phone: (630) 678-8300. Fax: (630) 268-1384.
- IEEE Computer Society , 1730 Massachusetts Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20036-1992. Phone: (202) 371-0101. Fax: (202) 728-9614.
- Institute for Certification of Computing Professionals (ICCP) , 2350 E. Devon Ave., Suite 115, Des Plaines, IL 60018-4610. Phone: (847) 299-4227. Fax: (847) 299-4280.
- National Workforce Center for Emerging Technologies (NWCET) , Bellevue Community College, 3000 Landerholm Circle SE, N258, Bellevue, WA 98007-6484. Phone: (425) 564-4229. Fax: (425) 564-6193.