Summary Report for:
15-1299.05 - Information Security Engineers
Develop and oversee the implementation of information security procedures and policies. Build, maintain and upgrade security technology, such as firewalls, for the safe use of computer networks and the transmission and retrieval of information. Design and implement appropriate security controls to identify vulnerabilities and protect digital files and electronic infrastructures. Monitor and respond to computer security breaches, viruses, and intrusions, and perform forensic investigation. May oversee the assessment of information security systems.
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Assess the quality of security controls using performance indicators.
- Conduct investigations of information security breaches to identify vulnerabilities and evaluate the damage.
- Coordinate documentation of computer security or emergency measure policies, procedures, or tests.
- Coordinate monitoring of networks or systems for security breaches or intrusions.
- Coordinate vulnerability assessments or analysis of information security systems.
- Develop information security standards and best practices.
- Develop or implement software tools to assist in the detection, prevention, and analysis of security threats.
- Develop or install software, such as firewalls and data encryption programs, to protect sensitive information.
- Develop response and recovery strategies for security breaches.
- Identify or implement solutions to information security problems.
- Identify security system weaknesses using penetration tests.
- Oversee development of plans to safeguard computer files against accidental or unauthorized modification, destruction, or disclosure or to meet emergency data processing needs.
- Oversee performance of risk assessment or execution of system tests to ensure the functioning of data processing activities or security measures.
- Provide technical support to computer users for installation and use of security products.
- Recommend information security enhancements to management.
- Review security assessments for computing environments or check for compliance with cybersecurity standards and regulations.
- Scan networks using vulnerability assessment tools to identify vulnerabilities.
- Train staff on and oversee the use of information security standards, policies, and best practices.
- Troubleshoot security and network problems.
- Write reports regarding investigations of information security breaches or network evaluations.
Detailed Work Activities
- Manage information technology projects or system activities.
- Develop software or computer applications.
- Install computer software.
- Analyze security of systems, network, or data.
- Coordinate reporting or editing activities.
- Develop operating strategies, plans, or procedures.
- Develop performance metrics or standards related to information technology.
- Establish work standards.
- Evaluate potential of products, technologies, or resources.
- Evaluate utility of software or hardware technologies.
- Implement security measures for computer or information systems.
- Investigate illegal or suspicious activities.
- Monitor processes for compliance with standards.
- Provide technical guidance to other personnel.
- Read documents to gather technical information.
- Recommend changes to improve computer or information systems.
- Supervise information technology personnel.
- Test computer system operations to ensure proper functioning.
- Train personnel in technical or scientific procedures.
- Troubleshoot issues with computer applications or systems.
- Write reports or evaluations.
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wage data for Computer Occupations, All Other.
Employment data for Computer Occupations, All Other.
Industry data for Computer Occupations, All Other.
|Median wages (2020)||$44.65 hourly, $92,870 annual|
|Employment (2019)||431,100 employees|
|Projected growth (2019-2029)||Faster than average (5% to 7%)|
|Projected job openings (2019-2029)||32,300|
|Top industries (2019)|
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2020 wage data and 2019-2029 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2019-2029). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.