Summary Report for:
17-2141.02 - Automotive Engineers
Develop new or improved designs for vehicle structural members, engines, transmissions, or other vehicle systems, using computer-assisted design technology. Direct building, modification, or testing of vehicle or components.
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Conduct or direct system-level automotive testing.
- Design control systems or algorithms for purposes such as automotive energy management, emissions management, or increased operational safety or performance.
- Design or analyze automobile systems in areas such as aerodynamics, alternate fuels, ergonomics, hybrid power, brakes, transmissions, steering, calibration, safety, or diagnostics.
- Alter or modify designs to obtain specified functional or operational performance.
- Build models for algorithm or control feature verification testing.
- Calibrate vehicle systems, including control algorithms or other software systems.
- Conduct automotive design reviews.
- Develop calibration methodologies, test methodologies, or tools.
- Develop engineering specifications or cost estimates for automotive design concepts.
- Develop or integrate control feature requirements.
Tools & Technology
Tools used in this occupation:
|Anechoic chambers — Climate test chambers|
|Chemical absorption gas analyzers — Gas analyzers; Hydrogen analyzers|
|Dynamometers — Engine test dynamometers; Transmission dynamometers|
|Pressure indicators — Pressure gauges|
|Workshop presses — Bench drill presses; Floor drill presses|
Technology used in this occupation:
|Analytical or scientific software — Gamma Technologies GT-SUITE; Maplesoft Maple; SoMat eDAQ; The MathWorks Simulink|
|Computer aided design CAD software — Autodesk AutoCAD software; Dassault Systemes SolidWorks software; Think3 ThinkDesign Engineering; Vector CANtech software|
|Development environment software — C; Digital Equipment Corporation DIGITAL Fortran 90; Very high speed integrated circuit VHSIC hardware description language VHDL|
|Graphics or photo imaging software — Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop software; Ambient Design ArtRage; Corel Painter Sketch Pad; Portalgraphics openCanvas|
|Object or component oriented development software — C++; Microsoft Visual C#|
|Achievement — Occupations that satisfy this work value are results oriented and allow employees to use their strongest abilities, giving them a feeling of accomplishment. Corresponding needs are Ability Utilization and Achievement.|
|Working Conditions — Occupations that satisfy this work value offer job security and good working conditions. Corresponding needs are Activity, Compensation, Independence, Security, Variety and Working Conditions.|
|Recognition — Occupations that satisfy this work value offer advancement, potential for leadership, and are often considered prestigious. Corresponding needs are Advancement, Authority, Recognition and Social Status.|
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wages data collected from Mechanical Engineers.
Employment data collected from Mechanical Engineers.
Industry data collected from Mechanical Engineers.
|Median wages (2012)||$38.74 hourly, $80,580 annual|
|Employment (2010)||243,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2010-2020)||Slower than average (3% to 9%)|
|Projected job openings (2010-2020)||99,600|
|Top industries (2010)|
State & National
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2012 wage data and 2010-2020 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2010-2020). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
for Automotive Engineers
State & National Job Banks
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- Mechanical Engineers . Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor. Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2012-13 Edition.
- SAE International , 400 Commonwealth Dr., Warrendale, PA 15096-0001. Phone: (724) 776-4841.