Summary Report for:
47-4099.02 - Solar Thermal Installers and Technicians
Install or repair solar energy systems designed to collect, store, and circulate solar-heated water for residential, commercial or industrial use.
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Design active direct or indirect, passive direct or indirect, or pool solar systems.
- Perform routine maintenance or repairs to restore solar thermal systems to baseline operating conditions.
- Apply operation or identification tags or labels to system components, as required.
- Assess collector sites to ensure structural integrity of potential mounting surfaces or the best orientation and tilt for solar collectors.
- Connect water heaters and storage tanks to power and water sources.
- Determine locations for installing solar subsystem components, including piping, water heaters, valves, and ancillary equipment.
- Fill water tanks and check tanks, pipes, and fittings for leaks.
- Identify plumbing, electrical, environmental, or safety hazards associated with solar thermal installations.
- Install circulating pumps using pipe, fittings, soldering equipment, electrical supplies, and hand tools.
- Install copper or plastic plumbing using pipes, fittings, pipe cutters, acetylene torches, solder, wire brushes, sand cloths, flux, plastic pipe cleaners, or plastic glue.
Tools & Technology
Tools used in this occupation:
|Ladders — Extension ladders; Fiberglass extension ladders|
|Locking pliers — Channel lock pliers; Vise grip pliers|
|Pipe wrenches — Large pipe wrenches; Medium pipe wrenches|
|Power drills — Cordless drills; Impact drills; Right-angle drills|
|Wire cutters — Pair of dykes|
Technology used in this occupation:
|Electronic mail software — Microsoft Outlook|
|Office suite software — Microsoft Office software|
|Project management software — Cost estimating software|
|Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel|
|Word processing software — Microsoft Word|
|Support — Occupations that satisfy this work value offer supportive management that stands behind employees. Corresponding needs are Company Policies, Supervision: Human Relations and Supervision: Technical.|
|Achievement — Occupations that satisfy this work value are results oriented and allow employees to use their strongest abilities, giving them a feeling of accomplishment. Corresponding needs are Ability Utilization and Achievement.|
|Working Conditions — Occupations that satisfy this work value offer job security and good working conditions. Corresponding needs are Activity, Compensation, Independence, Security, Variety and Working Conditions.|
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wages data collected from Construction and Related Workers, All Other.
Employment data collected from Construction and Related Workers, All Other.
Industry data collected from Construction and Related Workers, All Other.
|Median wages (2012)||$16.82 hourly, $34,990 annual|
|Employment (2010)||45,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2010-2020)||Average (10% to 19%)|
|Projected job openings (2010-2020)||23,200|
|Top industries (2010)|
State & National
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2012 wage data and 2010-2020 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2010-2020). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.