17-3023.03 - Electrical Engineering Technicians
Green occupations will likely change as a result of the green economy. Green economy activities and technologies are increasing the demand for occupations, shaping the work and worker requirements needed for occupational performance, or generating new and emerging occupations.
This is a Green Enhanced Skills occupation — green economy activities and technologies are likely to cause significant change to the work and worker requirements. New tasks, skills, knowledge, credentials may be needed. Employment demand remains the same, but there is potential for an increase.
Electrical engineering technicians work in the following green economy sectors:
- Manufacturing — This sector covers activities related to industrial manufacturing of green technology as well as energy efficient manufacturing processes.
They perform these tasks important to the green economy:
- Assemble or test solar photovoltaic products, such as inverters or energy management systems.
- Assess electrical components for consumer electronics applications, such as fuel cells for consumer electronic devices, power saving devices for computers or televisions, or energy efficient power chargers.
- Build or test electrical components of electric-drive vehicles or prototype vehicles.
- Create or modify electrical components to be used in renewable energy generation.
- Participate in the development or testing of electrical aspects of new green technologies, such as lighting, optical data storage devices, or energy efficient televisions.